Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do I use my telescope?

So I've bought a skyliner skywatcher 200p telescope about 3 weeks ago which is my first telescope ever. I've set it up naively expecting it just to work and it's not (this is going to be more complicated than I first thought). Why is my telescope not giving a good image of the moon? It's just a bright white ball with no detail on whatso ever. I've tried focusing it, anyway I turn the focusur doesn't really make a difference, the moon just gets bigger or smaller and havnt got a clue what to do about it. So my scope has just been sitting there for a week not doing nothing. HELP! (I've read about collimating but not sure if id trust myself doing something I have no idea about, maybe I've jumped in the deep deep deep end to soon)  

Hi and welcome to the forum :icon_biggrin:

A very common issue with these scopes is for folks to have both the large 2" diameter eyepiece adapter and the smaller 1.25" one in the scope at the same time. The instructions are not clear on this but if they are both in the scope you can't then get the scope to focus on any astronomical object.

If you are using 1.25" diameter eyepieces (which are the ones supplied with the scope) then you just have the 1.25" adapter in the scope focuser tube. If you want to use a 2" diameter eyepiece at some point, you remove the 1.25" adapter, replace it with the 2" adapter and then put the 2" eyepiece in.

This is worth checking because, as I say, the instructions are not clear that these adapters need to be used separately rather than both at the same time.

I found tonight the conditions were not particularly good so I used a low power eyepiece to view the Moon. In good conditions I can get quite high magnifications. There may be thin cloud between your scope and the Moon you can't really discern with the naked eye. I'm guessing you have the stock Sky-Watcher 10 & 25mm eyepieces?

Bino SW EPs (2).jpg

Try the larger 25mm one first as it should give you a lower magnification, 48x on your scope I believe. Tonight, I was barely getting 40x on the Moon. If it isn't the atmospheric conditions it may well be some collimation problem.

Thanks john, I think I know what u mean by the 1,25 and 2 diameter eye piece ( you can tell I've never even touched a telescope before now I know) ha ... I've basicley took apart everything from below the eye piece that you look into and there were 2 other chambers below that (these must be the 2 eye pieces you are on about)?, I took one of them off and just put the 1 back in, I think this is the 1,25 I have a Put back in I'll give it another go now. cheers!  

Anyway I have just give it another go and u were exactly right john, I had both eye pieces on at the same time, so I've switched to one (duh) and I've just seen the moon for the first time in the 3 weeks that I've had my telescope and it looks class haha thanks mate! 

You can tell that this is a fairly common problem as it was the first thing mentioned as a solution. So rest assured you are not the first and will not be the last.

HAve a look through this: http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/Clubs/Counties.aspx

There may a club localish to you if you wanted to try one out.

Expect to be looking to get an extra eyepiece or two fairly quick, I think everyone does, the supplied pair are really just to allow you to look through the scope but do not perform overly well - at least the 10mm gets poor reports, the 25 or 20mm tends to be better.

Hi Gary, 

You'll probably want to get Cheshire eyepiece and check your scope's collimation at some point.  When I bought my 200p it was way out and needed the secondary adjusting as well as the primary. 

But, always, always, collimate with the scope horizontal.  It can really take the edge off your day if you drop a tool onto the primary mirror.  I also use cotton gloves when adjusting the secondary in case my fingers touch the mirror. 

John

As "easy" as collimation is, i highly recommend doing it the first time in the presence of someone who can guide you and fix it if it goes badly wrong.

My first attempt following the above guide and a cheshire was a disaster and I had to take it to the local astronomy centre. My second attempt, with an uncollimated laser, was slightly better, but not much, and I took it to a local astro group to fix, and they showed me properly and advised I collimate the laser.  

my third attempt was pretty good and it's now quick and easy - i check every session with the laser and double check every now and again with the cheshire.

Great scope though, good choice.

Archived