Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thoughts for an ABS 3D Printed Dome Mini-Observatory

Gina

As a future project I have been considering a mini dome observatory of maybe 2ft diameter and capable of containing a small widefield imaging system.  Earlier I was thinking of printing it on my Giant 3D printer when finished but I could print it in several parts, solvent welded together on my GinaRep Titan printer.  The domed top would be divided up into pieces which would fit into the cubic foot printing space of the Titan.  The base could be either 3D printed or consist of a number of vertical planks in either wood or plastic.

Yes :D  I'm thinking of teaming it up with a DIY fork mount and widefield imaging system with mono-modified DSLRs but I have a number of projects to complete first. I do like to have projects as far as the eye can see :D  Or brain can imagine...   Time-wise I'm thinking next autumn or winter - hoping for a good summer first :)  I'm trying to get back into astro projects :)

9 hours ago, Gina said:

Yes :D  I'm thinking of teaming it up with a DIY fork mount and widefield imaging system with mono-modified DSLRs but I have a number of projects to complete first. I do like to have projects as far as the eye can see :D  Or brain can imagine...   Time-wise I'm thinking next autumn or winter - hoping for a good summer first :)  I'm trying to get back into astro projects :)

That soon :icon_biggrin:

Ed

• 1 year later...

I'm back to thinking about a mini observatory with dome but I've gone off ABS.  With the widefield rig I have made the size would need to be a lot bigger than I was considering above.  I have a number of thin aluminium sheets I had planned to use for a cylindrical top mini obsy that could do for the sections of a multi sided dome.  As for size, something like 2ft diameter, I think.

If you can do this, Gina, go for it. This is one of the things I love about this hobby, it lends itself to the enthusiastic do it yer selfer!  Not me I hasten to add. My efforts in this direction are very modest. But it's so inspiring to see others do these things. It might encourage me one of these days. 

Archived