Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dobsonian doubts...

Sonia

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 7" Mak is another great scope, but how do they price out? I'm thinking just a bit more than £350. One of our members has one and it's really great on clusters and Jupiter. Not so great on deep sky, though. A 10" Dob is a great all around scope, which is what Sonia's after.

Saso: I managed most of the Messier objects with my 4.5" F/4.5 Tasco, (yeah, it makes me laugh, too), but the tougher ones I waited until I could observe on Kitt Peak, just for the skies. Cheating? Maybe, but I found them myself. :lol:

I am personally attracted to Focal length when it comes to telescopes. A celestron nextstar 4GT will be as good or out perform a 10" dob in so many ways.

Ok a DOB with a focal length of 800 - 1000 may have more light gathering power. But will not perform the nexstar 4 with a focal length of 1350mm.

Portabilty is a big issue. Try taking the 10" dab on holiday with you.

Get yourself a nexstar 4 and a couple of good eyepieces. :lol:

But my new dob will be 1550mm :( 250mm! P.S it will come on holiday! Orion f6.3

I'm also curious :lol:

I understand that the Mak corrector lens is used on smaller apertures (up to 7") not because of any optical superiority over a Schmidt but because it is easier to make 'well' at these apertures. Whereas the more complex but superior Schmidt only becomes practical at 8" and larger.

I ve been chatting to Sonia a lot today on messenger and I told her that she would soon make her new dob her favourite scope in no time at all I also told her that I am in the process of building my own 10" dob I have the primary its a parabolic and its f4.5 so pretty fast i worked it out that my tube (sonotube type)will be around about 54" I am using a 50mm secondary 2" focusser a nice atm spider thats as far as I have got yet still waiting for the tube to arrive if it ever does! Lol

Any way its still a fact that the best scopes in the world are the ones that you actually use how many are sitting in broom cupboards around the world my guess is a lot more that we see out in the field

Anyway just recap Sonia hope you and the dob will be very happy together

catch up with you later

psp2 ? Decided yet?

Archived