Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

markarian's chain framing frustration

Hi everyone

Well, 4 years on and someone just liked a post in this thread. this prompted me to recall when I had just started trying astro-photography.

I wish I had overcome one of my (many) traits and read @Thalestris24's post fully where I missed a crucial bit of advice. As others are reading this still, maybe I ought to say that the answer is plate solving.

Any camera orientation you like; you choose the orientation which best suits your planned image. Perfect!

Cheers

Edited by alacant

6 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi everyone

Well, 4 years on and someone just liked a post in this thread. this prompted me to recall when I had just started trying astro-photography.

I wish I had overcome one of my (many) traits and read @Thalestris24's post fully where I missed a crucial bit of advice. As others are reading this still, maybe I ought to say that the answer is plate solving.

Any camera orientation you like; you choose the orientation which best suits your planned image. Perfect!

Cheers

Four years on and you are still posting in the 'Getting Started with Imaging' section though! 😇

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Four years on and you are still posting in the 'Getting Started with Imaging' section though! 😇

Thanks for the mentions. One reason I started with using platesolving was because I was unable to do a proper Polar or star alignment. I've always been severely limited by only being able to image via an open window in my flat, and under terrible skies with awful LP! I can never produce decent long exposure images from here, not even with narrowband 😞 Nowadays, I just do short exposure live stacking with SharpCap and a mono camera, but still use platesolving to locate targets.

Louise

• Like 1

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread last night after a failed trial run of Markarian's chain. I've now learnt a thing or 2 about camera orientation and framing of targets. The FOV function in Stellarium is going to help immensely.

• Like 1