SCT Focuser upgrade

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I would be reluctant to move the primary mirror its full extent to create a mirror lock for two reasons. First, on any of my SCT's that would push the focus point well out of the rear cell needing extensions, second, a SCT is opitically optimised at "normal" focus settings, outside of those the correction changes.

Thanks Peter, expert opinion as always ??

10 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I don't see the fine focussing problems others have. Mine works exactly as it should.

Do you not get mirror shift when you change focus direction Michael?

All great stuff again - thanks! Definitely moving towards a crayford I think. Leave the stock focuser for broad focus, then fine tune with the crayford.

Now I just need to get saving....

Although I could start with a hair net from Poundland tomorrow...

59 minutes ago, Marky1973 said:

All great stuff again - thanks! Definitely moving towards a crayford I think. Leave the stock focuser for broad focus, then fine tune with the crayford.

Now I just need to get saving....

Although I could start with a hair net from Poundland tomorrow...

I confess I'm completely at a loss as to what you actually do with the hair net????? ??

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

I confess I'm completely at a loss as to what you actually do with the hair net????? ??

If someone was to reinstate the # post number system I could show you :)

Dave

• 5 months later...

Not sure gif this is too old...but

I keep reading that the SCT needs a focal reducer (the one commonly quoted seems to be the f6.3 fr) to correct for vignetting?

How would you mount the f6.3 fr and a focuser, and keep the required back focus of the  fr of 110mm given that the focuser will be filling that distance?

Or am I missing the point there?

Or, is the assumption that the focuser will fill the 55mm gap from fr to camera (assuming DSLR which has a back focus of 55mm incl t-ring). Somehow I don't see a focuser being less than 2 and qtr inches :)

A reducer does the opposite of a barlow and reduces the f-ratio of the scope. So an f-10 sct becomes f-6.3. It attaches to the visual back and then you attach accessories to it (eg dslr, oag, etc). It speeds up the scope so the time to take subs is reduced. :)

(The focuser for an sct is usually to the side of the visual back - though you can get add on ones for the visual back too - which I would use for observing only)

Thanks, yes, I also knew of the focal reduction (given in the device name LOL) and the decrease in exposure time, I was more concerned with correction of vignetting at this point.

Re last sentence - you say visual back twice, did you mean rear cell in one instance?

I've just bought a 2" crayford SCT focuser (for mounting to the rear cell)

So, the FR fits to the rear cell, then the focuser, and my 2" nosepiece, m48 t-ting and dslr..

Which brings me back to ...

If I need to have 110mm from the FR to the imaging plane (sensor) and the DSLR provided 55mm of that with the t-ring fitted. Surely the focuser will be more than 55mm?

How does that measure up/fit in to the 110mm back focus? My head says I will be way past the 110mm - and that will also increase f-ratio (to nearer f7).

Alternative, perhaps, is Focuser, some sort of 2" to SCT adapter, FR, my 2" - M48 nosepiece and t-ring

Ahh - I did miss the point - you're using a crayford focuser between the fr and camera. That will use up a considerable portion of your 110mm back focus. It's going to be a close call and will make focusing difficult or impossible. I guess you can only add up the distances of all the parts and see what you get. I've only ever used a crayford on my sct for observing.

For imaging I use fr, oag, filter wheel, and camera (plus extension tubes to get the right back focus where necessary). For fine focus I use a Feather Touch in place of the stock sct focuser. Not sure you can do it your way - maybe someone who has done it will come along and comment. I'll experiment with mine in the morning and see if I can come up with something for you. :)

Archived