Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter (the best I've seen it)

Brasspoodle

Apologies as this is a bit of cross posting from the Astronomy Forum...

Finally, after lots of sessions with the f5 ST120 Achromat, I got out the 12" Dob and had a look at Jupiter. I started out with the 7mm XW (214x) and was straight away amazed with the view: the usual two equatorial bands, the red spot (white rimmed) entering from the left, two broad fuzzy grayish bands further down around the pole separated by a clear white line, the messier darker upper equatorial band was reasonably complex and there were just visible a further two bands around the upper pole (the pole itself and another less defined band below it). 

I then tried the BCO 6mm (250x) and was surprised to notice a thick notched line running along the bottom of the lower equatorial band, running up around the red spot on one side. There was nice contrast (polar bands perhaps clearer) but as soon as the planet got into the outer 20% of the FoV the image deteriorated quickly into an unfocused blob. Lots of nudging was required to keep Jupiter centered and in the end the narrow, limited FoV in my undriven Dob was just too frustrating to deal with. The 6mm Delos proved a much better option with the image staying in focus right across the FoV. Little changed in the quality of the view with perhaps slightly less contrast but the eyepiece showed the same detail.

Then I tried the 5mm XW (300x) and initially it looked pretty hopeless, with the view being a slightly less distinct version of the 6mm. However the sky magically settled and the image sharpened. I noticed between the two main equatorial bands a thin curved arc (or loop) coming out of the upper darker equatorial band above, and slightly behind, the red spot. The notches on the line on the bottom of the lower equatorial band seem more distinct. I detected 3 notches (there could have been more), one near the red spot and others further along. I thought I may have seen another upper line in this lower equatorial band above the thick notched line. The lower polar bands were distinct (as before ) although more texture seemed apparent. The upper polar bands were similar. At one point the whole planet looked as complex and detailed as I've ever seen it, almost quasi photographic!

After a while the sky resumed its turbulent ways and 300x became once again not so usable. I felt like I lucked onto a momentary window tonight in which conditions conspired to produced excellent planetary viewing. Having spent so much time eeking out details on Jupiter through the ST120 I was certainly well prepared to see as much as I could through the 12" Dob. Clear, steady skies to you all :-)

Sounds like some good views, I had pretty similar here last week when we finally got a clear night after several months of clouds.  I saw that thin white line running through the middle of one of the equatorial bands, I'd never seen that before, I think it's a fairly new feature.

A couple of years ago I built a simple equatorial platform for my 12" dob I use for planets, it made a huge improvement in the quality of the views I got and my enjoyment of them.  They're pretty simple to put together, I used a "Celestron Logic Drive" that was really cheap to power it, only $30 and has built in gear reduction and speed control.

That sounds just like a very rare view I had a few years ago. The seeing was superb and the transparency sparkling. I nearly lept out of the joy of seeing a near photo view. There has been an equatorial festoon this year, but not so many super views. Very interested o read about your ep use. I settled on a 5.5 mm Meade UWA, giving about x220.

clear skies !

Nick.

Nice report brasspoodle, a fine session indeed. I had a similar experience with solar the other day, the seeing just froze for about two or three minutes to give amazing views, then went back to its old mushy ways.

Jupiter has been showing some lovely detail this opposition, nice festoons coming off the equatorial band which you picked up. A 12" under good conditions will show plenty, so enjoy!

Very interesting and informative report. You had one of those sessions when everything fell into place. They don't happen very often but the wait is so worthwhile. Hand some good sessions on Jupiter last week, but the last few days have been totally clouded out.

A really nice report from somewhere different, I see you get wobbley skies as well. I have been able to push targets like Jupiter to around x300 a few times here though it really depends on time of year. At the moment it is wall to wall rain and clouds, thanks for sharing the report with us.

Alan

11 minutes ago, Piero said:

Thanks Chris!

Venice area where I come from. But I am going to spend one day near Garda Lake for my sister's wedding. :)

Oh fantastic! I used to live (8 years) beside Lago Maggiore, although I have to say the seeing was not too good except when I went up to Cervinia....

Chris

1 hour ago, chiltonstar said:

Oh fantastic! I used to live (8 years) beside Lago Maggiore, although I have to say the seeing was not too good except when I went up to Cervinia....

Chris

Never been over there, but it seems a nice place to live! In Venice area, transparency is not great, but the seeing is pretty good. Last winter I managed to use more than 300x on Jupiter. Hope to do the same next month with my new delos eps! :) Plus there are Saturn and Mars coming up! :rolleyes: 

Archived