NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 vs Star Adventurer.

So, after a period of enforced research (ie, waiting for payday!) I've been reading through the forums and various reviews and have a question. :)

What are the benefits of an EQ5 with dual motors vs a Star Adventurer? Mainly for astrophotography.

From what I can see:

1. Portability - SA is a lot lighter, easier to move about, etc.
2. EQ5 would support a lot larger OTA and other equipment.
3. Stability - Guessing the EQ5 would be a lot heavier/stable.
4. Ease of use - SA seems to be an all in one, easy to use, quick setup, etc. 
5. Built in intervalometer in the SA. 

I'm initially thinking of getting a small scope, something like a Startravel 102, along with an astro-converted DSLR. I think that would be the limit of the SA, but probably look ridiculous (tho very stable) on the EQ5. 

So, if I go with the SA, am I just boxing myself into a corner for the sake of portability? The EQ5 actually works out a little cheaper once a tripod for the SA is taken into account. 

Cheers,

Darren.

The main reason I use the SW SA is the lack of other stuff needed to take along for imaging, just mount , tripod, camera. lenses and intervalometer.

Once you start needing guiding, laptop, power supplies etc it defeats the object, and you may as well get a bigger mount.

Dave

It all depends if you just want to stick with cameras and small scopes really - or if you think you'll eventually want to mount a larger scope and do a combination of observing and imaging. The SA is great for what it is - a light weight portable tracking camera mount with auto guide port - but you need to look at future aspirations really - even an EQ5 might not be enough - my gut feel is you may end up considering an HEQ5. :)

Hi

I echo what others have said. The SA is really only suitable for a camera and shortish lens. It can't really cope with imaging using a dslr + telescope + guide scope. The weight quickly becomes too great and you might just as well go for a proper motorised eq mount. Plus the SA will only guide in RA and it's not easy to point at targets.

Louise

I agree with the others on this. I have seen some fantastic images using the SA but with lightweight SLR-lens combinations. I have an eq5 pro and using that with a Canon 5d -400mm lens for any more than 30 seconds gives elongated stars whereas a friends Heq5 is much better on tracking and is much more stable.

However if its a matter of carrying a mount to a remote site or taking it on holiday then the SA is the way to go.

• 1 month later...

As I am a SA owner I am going to emphasise Louise's point regarding finding your objects. It's not an easy thing to do especially for the inexperienced. I purchased mine purely for its portability and ability to image at night and carry my solar scope in the day.

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

I use mine with a RDF in the flash shoe, once aligned by centering a star in the RDF and live view screen it's quit easy to star hop to find stuff.

Dave

I think that only works if you can see the stars - so not an option here in Glasgow!

Louise

3 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

I think that only works if you can see the stars - so not an option here in Glasgow!

Louise

Just watched the weather forecast and it said something about sun in Scotland :eek:

Dave

22 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Just watched the weather forecast and it said something about sun in Scotland :eek:

Dave

Maybe... I actually was referring to the rare occasions when it's clear - the city lp hides all but the brightest stars here :( 

On 06/05/2016 at 19:24, brantuk said:

You'll need to adapt the mount to take the SA which has camera fittings 3/8ths and 1/4 inch. But the eq3 will support it no problem - better than some camera tripods imho. :)

would this be achieved by using a m10 to 3/8 adapter 

If such an adaptor exists then sure. My mate actually drilled and rethreaded his SA wedge to M10 - bit too extreme for me though. I wanted to keep the 3/8 & 1/4 inch fitting so he's working on an a tripod adaptor with the right camera fitting. I'll post it up here when it materialises. :)

That looks very close if it (or something like it) can be embedded in a flat tripod fitting plate to marry the two together. Though I would want it in stainless steel (stronger) rather than brass. :)

Archived