Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Geographical coordinates mapped to the night sky

Nao

Hi, I have a question for you. Do you know of any software which will map the night sky using geographical coordinates? I am trying to find out what constellation would be seen on a date in a location. I am sorry if this is a silly rooky question. 

Stellarium is what is called a Planetarium-Program. You set it for your exact location, add the items you wish it to show you (instructions available) - such as stars, planets, galaxies, even man-made satellites - and it will give you a very realistic view of what can be seen in your nighttime sky. You can set it to do this for any time you desire. And you can easily get the coordinates for any/all objects up there. Similar software-programs can run you upwards of £200. But Stellarium is totally free to download and use. Here's a cut & paste:

On this link is the main page for downloading Stellarium. Choose which version is correct for your computer. Here you go:

http://www.stellarium.org/

As for instructions, the most current one's are posted in Wiki due to there being new features & functions being created almost daily. There is also a Pdf. that's almost up-to-date, absolutely enough 'up-to-date' in all needed ways. Here's the Wiki-Link:

http://www.stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Stellarium_User_Guide

And the Pdf. is here:

http://barry.sarcasmogerdes.com/stellarium/stellarium_user_guide-new.pdf

Oh - Greetings and welcome aboard SGL! Nice to have you aboard.

I'll leave you with a screenshot of mine - which is quite advanced. Your copy will be much simpler until you program it otherwise.

Enjoy!

Dave

stellarium-080.thumb.png.c869a6af1f8c26c

Click image for full size.

Thank you very much. I will take a look at those. I think I will be able to work out what someone would see on a clear night in a set location e.g. in 1954 25th March @9 pm. 

13 hours ago, Nao said:

Thank you very much. I will take a look at those. I think I will be able to work out what someone would see on a clear night in a set location e.g. in 1954 25th March @9 pm. 

Welcome to SGL, you can put any location, date and time into Stellarium to show the sky at that moment.

Dave

Hi Nao and welcome to SGL, your initial inquiry seems to have been resolved by Dave, however, this is, never the less, the Welcome section, where our new members are encouraged to give a little information about themselves, their interests in the hobby and equipment they may have acquired.

It is inevitable that there will be future questions, especially from those just starting out. There are many sections which cover most of the major interests, to get the best possibility of an answer to any future inquiry, it is best placed in the appropriate section to which it refers, enjoy the forum :)

Archived