Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter with a Barlow problem.

Hi everyone. I have already posted this elsewhere but may have been the wrong thread so I'm trying again. 

I am totally new to this hobby and I have had my Skymax127 and ASI120MC for about a month. 

I am really happy with my results so far without a Barlow however with the Barlow the colour and contrast look washed out and faded. 

I've tried various gain and exposure settings without much joy. 

Have I missed something? 

23_13_24c.jpg

23_20_04c.jpg

Hi

first off you have 2 very good images there, well done, you also have the same scope as me, i have the ASI120MM.

i am no expert by a long way and i don't think you are missing anything, the problem when using a Barlow lens is the effects vary with the quality and/or design of the Barlow and the eyepiece. Another effect is a change in the image quality, specifically in the sharpness of the image.

hope this helps

Regards
James

• 2 weeks later...

Your images look great to me, especially for being at it for only a month.

My Barlow's are always a bit of a trade off. They seem to dim down and wash out the object you are trying to see better.

I have a 2x, and a 3x, and because I don't know any better, I even stack them at times for visual viewing. Caused quite a stir around here last summer viewing Saturn and the wife saw it live for the first time. And the Son and DIL, too. But the wife got all excited about it.

But they come at the price of loosing light. Don't be disappointed, you are doing quite well.

I think both the images look pretty good to me, including the 2nd image. I agree it looks a little washed out compared to the 1st, but for the aperture it is still a fine image.

What are the length are the AVI's you are taking? Are you setting the Gain, Gamma very high when you Barlow?

18 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

I think both the images look pretty good to me, including the 2nd image. I agree it looks a little washed out compared to the 1st, but for the aperture it is still a fine image.

What are the length are the AVI's you are taking? Are you setting the Gain, Gamma very high when you Barlow?

Oh I agree, they're both excellent images.

Archived