Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

i feel like kicking myself right up the hutty butty

hi peeps.. 

im kicking myself here... ive just purchased a canaon 1200d.. and the  T ring for it came today .. im so excited to try it out...

i know jupiter is a bit of a struggle tonight where i live (but not impossible) i get my camera out (not knowing how to use it at all,all trial & error, im one of these wally's who doesnt read the instruction leaflet. 

anyway  i spot jupiter and thats it, im straight on it. i get my scope set up on the garden,attach my t ring. then realise i havnt got a t adapter(so i thought) then i picked up my barlow lens and my eyes lit up... its only a  T adapter + barlow :)  so i screw it in and put my cam and barlow in to the scope and then thats when it all went wrong.. im there looking at jupiter through my lcd screen on the camera..zoom in ..perfect picture of jupiter . i go to take a pic and the zoom wouldnt work. im sat in a heap almost in tears .i tried again... take another pic and the same thing happened. how can it be.. i take a pic while in X10  zoom but as soon as the pic is taken the zoom goes and i end up with a tiny pic which is just a bright blob... is there a way that i can keep the zoom while the pic is being taken? the same thing happened when i was taking a video,it was zoomed in,and as soon as i pressed the record button it came out of zoom mode and was just a tiny tiny pic of the planet. one good thing is it stays in my FOV longer than it did when i was using my webcam... just to top it off i cant find the cd that came with the camera or the  instruction manual. can anybody help me plz 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, stevie1980 said:

just to top it off i cant find the cd that came with the camera or the  instruction manual

If you register your 1200d on the Canon website you will be able to download the manual and EOS utility's that come on the cd

1 minute ago, JemC said:

If you register your 1200d on the Canon website you will be able to download the manual and EOS utility's that come on the cd

thankyou jemc ill do just that.im hoping to get another go at jupiter tonight or shall i say morning . cheers 

20 minutes ago, stevie1980 said:

i take a pic while in X10  zoom

do you mean x10 zoom with live view?

if so live view zoom is used really to check your focus, once the shutter button is pressed it will revert to normal view and normal picture will be taken it will not take a picture at x10 magnification :happy7:

6 minutes ago, JemC said:

thankyou jemc ill do just that.im hoping to get another go at jupiter tonight or shall i say morning . cheers 

4 minutes ago, brantuk said:

I think I remember it's a switch on the body near where you attach a lens or T-ring. Labelled AF/Man iirc. :) (or AF on/off)

it only says that on the 18_55mm lens attachment that comes with the cam. but i have top take that off to put in the t ring.. 

Yes you're correct - I just checked on my mrs 1000D and on the power on/off dial there's an "M" setting - that could be "Manual" I think. Also use very short exposures (less than 100th sec) - the planet is bright - try ISO 800 and adjust if necessary. Hth :)

4 minutes ago, JemC said:

do you mean x10 zoom with live view?

if so live view zoom is used really to check your focus, once the shutter button is pressed it will revert to normal view and normal picture will be taken it will not take a picture at x10 magnification :happy7:

yes thats it... thats exactly whats happened.. would that be the same in vid mode.. it was a fantastic pic until i pressed the snap shot button.. 

5 minutes ago, brantuk said:

Yes you're correct - I just checked on my mrs 1000D and on the power on/off dial there's an "M" setting - that could be "Manual" I think. Also use very short exposures (less than 100th sec) - the planet is bright - try ISO 800 and adjust if necessary. Hth :)

it dont work.. :(  never mind.. thanks for the help anyway. top fella. :( im just going to sit in a corner somewhere and have a little cry lol. i cant understand though how you can pay a decent amount of money for a camera and it wont keep the zoom while you take a pic lol

2 minutes ago, stevie1980 said:

i cant understand though how you can pay a decent amount of money for a camera and it wont keep the zoom while you take a pic lol

:icon_biggrin: the 1200d is actually a very good camera, the function you are trying to use as a zoom is not designed for that purpose, the live view function is to help you make sure you have good focus only, i think you really need to download that manual :happy7:

but don't give up all is not lost, there are other things you can do,

out of curiosity what telescope and mount are you using

6 minutes ago, brantuk said:

Scroll down and check step 2. on this link - points to manual setting:

http://www.naturephotographysimplified.com/tips-and-tutorials/canon-dslr-basics-for-beginners-8-easy-steps-learn-manual-mode/

Gets round my clumsy description lol :)

yes i managed that but it still does the same :(  i think its not meant to be like jemc said ..  grrr lol

1 minute ago, todd8137 said:

If it was me I would go with a cheap webcam and adapter dslr are not that great for planets in my view 

pat

ive got a webcam but it wont give me a clear pic at all. just a blob. my  mobile/cell phone gave me a clearer pic than the webcam... saying that it is  only a 1.3 mp cam. but when using it on the moon the webcam was fantastic 

1 hour ago, stevie1980 said:

ive got a webcam but it wont give me a clear pic at all. just a blob. my  mobile/cell phone gave me a clearer pic than the webcam... saying that it is  only a 1.3 mp cam. but when using it on the moon the webcam was fantastic 

Could you not  get focus ?hence the blob 

On 3/9/2016 at 14:35, stevie1980 said:
6 hours ago, todd8137 said:

Could you not  get focus ?hence the blob 

well using my webcam i cant get the best focus because im using a dobsonian and when i have the planet in my FOV i then try to get the focus right, but when  i move the focuser it wobbles the scope enough to lose track of jupiter. when i do get it in focus it is just a blob .but when i used my dslr last night i got very good detail of jupiter in zoom mode.but when i pressed the snapshot button it reverted back to normal size which when i looked at the snapshot it looked like the size of jupiters moons if you know what i mean. im not very good at explaining things lol 

5 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

You should be able to record Liveview, 5x Liveview is normally pretty close to 1:1 pixel ratio.

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/EQ_TESTS/Canon_One_To_One_Pixel_Resolution.HTM

yes thanks for that i will give that a whirl tonight if the sky is clear enough. i just want what everyone else wants, just one clear good shot of jupiter and i wont stop untill ive got that pic or vid. i love this hobby its the best feeling ive ever had, well apart from being a daddy of course lol. thanks again

Archived