NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dual size focuser eyepeices?

MarkyD

I'm looking at getting a decent EP for my SW 200P-DS and have been looking at the Baader Hyperons which can fit both 1 1/4" and 2" focusers.  My thoughts are that with the extra length of the 1 1/4 fitment that this would make the benefits of having a 2" EP useless.  Am I correct in thinking this ie it would have the same properties as a 1 1/4" EP but fit in a 2" focuser without an adaptor.

I am mainly focusing on Astrophotography so I won't have a nest of EP's just one or more to go with the 28mm that came with the scope

--

Mark

The Hyperion EP are more suited to slow Scopes i will leave it to others to recommend a alternative other than Pentax and Televue which i have and can recommend but there a bit more expensive, Baader Click Lock Adapter is a worth while investment.

Televue

http://www.telescopehouse.com/eyepieces/televue-eyepieces.html

Pentax

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pentax.html

Yes. A Baader Hyperion can be used in either a 2" or 1.25" focus-tube. To change it from one to the other requires removing, or adding, the adapters it comes with. So it will fit whichever you may have.

Very nice eyepieces! I have all but the 10mm & 24mm. These I have covered in others.

Have fun -

Dave

15 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Yes. A Baader Hyperion can be used in either a 2" or 1.25" focus-tube. To change it from one to the other requires removing, or adding, the adapters it comes with. So it will fit whichever you may have.

Very nice eyepieces! I have all but the 10mm & 24mm. These I have covered in others.

Have fun -

Dave

I think you will find the 1.25" adapter also has a small lens and is required to get the advertised "mm", some time back i asked this question and that was the answer........

The lower lens in the Hyperions doesn't change when you switch one for the other. 1.25" to 2." You are just exchanging parts of the eyepiece for fitting it into one or the other size focus-tube.

One gripe I have: The 2" adaptation won't give you the ability to screw in a filter for the 1.25" barrel. The threaded bore is removed when you swap the parts from 1.25" to 2."

Go figure,

Dave

3 hours ago, MarkyD said:

So as I understand it the 1 1/4" adapter is removable from the base of the EP leaving just the 2" in place?  This makes sense

--

Mark

If you do this the eyepiece becomes a rather poorly corrected eyepiece of around 22mm.

With the exception of the 24mm, the 1.25" barrel contains a lens set which creates the operating focal length of the eyepiece so you leave it in place, even if you are using the 2" section to actually hold the eyepiece. The 2" barrel is simply a part of the body of the eyepiece that will fit into a 2" drawtube. It's not a replacement for the 1.25" barrel in the way that the Baader Hyperion Zoom works.

As has been said, Hyperions are not well corrected right across the field of view in scopes faster than about F/7. In slower scopes than that they work well though.

I'm glad you all mentioned about the issue with Baader Hyperions on a fast-ish scope.  I was sold on these because they look nice for the price :)  It's my birthday soon so I may hint at a slightly more expensive EP.  Any thoughts on the Explorer Scientific range?  My target is just to have three EP's - high, medium and my 28mm as a low

--

Mark

With the regular Hyperions and the Morpheus', you don't remove or exchange anything. The lower part of the eyepiece body is actually a 2" connector. You can pull them out of a 1.25" diagonal on one scope and immediately plug them into a 2" diagonal on the scope beside. You only change connectors for the Baader Aspherics and the Zoom.

Cheers, ES

Archived