Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help choosing

Hi all,

I'm just getting started and have basically narrowed my choice down to 3 scopes, I know there is more to choosing but as a quickie answer which of these 3 would you go for?

Skywatcher explorer 130p synscan az goto. 130mm aperture 650mm/f5 focal length

Celestron nexstar 130slt. 130mm aperture 650mm focal length

Celestron 114lcm computerised newtonian reflector. 114mm aperture 1000mm focal length

any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm terrible when it comes to making final decisions!

Thanks. Gareth

Hello and welcome to the forum :D

I'd go for either of the 130mm scopes over the 114cm scope.

The latter is whats known as a "bird jones" design in that it uses an extra lens at the bottom of the focuser tube to achieve it's 1000mm focal length. This design is hard to get really good images from. Also, I feel that 114mm is just to small an aperture for a reflecting telescope to deliver satisfying performance.

There is not a great deal to pick between the two 130mm scopes you have listed. Their optics are quite possibly the same because they are made by the same manufacturer despite the different branding.

You can always identify a Bird-Jones reflector by a long focal-length crammed into a conspicuously short tube.  114mm to 150mm examples are extant, unfortunately, and are sold by Celestron, Meade, and also by "no-name" brands.  Here are some examples of Bird-Jones telescopes, and to be avoided like the plague...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rokinon-1000-x-114mm-Reflector-Telescope-with-Starry-Night-CD-Software-Tripod-/351582050520?hash=item51dbec58d8:g:E7MAAOxy9tpSAYFn

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seben-Big-Boss-1400-150-6-Reflector-Telescope-New/380278961431?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D777000%26algo%3DABA.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131227121020%26meid%3Db90cf57b22e4403cbd3df7b2b6af2710%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D131670466230

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Celestron-127EQ-Newtonian-Reflector-PowerSeeker-Aluminum-Tripod-Telescope-/131400563290?hash=item1e98157a5a:g:D-YAAOSwmrlUsan3

If people knew enough about these types in order to avoid them, then they would finally go the way of the Dodo; not that the tragic passing of the Dodo as a species was a good thing.

Of the three kits listed, I would go with: 0.

Consider this one instead, if go-to is a must...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150p.html

That one can be operated manually, and in case the motors and/or electronics fail.  The others cannot be.

Welcome to SGL Gareth :)

I'd definitely go for the 130P of those three as well. And if you're specifically after an Alt/Az mount in that price range then the Synscan Goto is probably the best of the three - so long as you have a good reason for choosing it over an equatorial mount.

I'd be interested to know what was your criteria for choosing alt/az? :)

Absolutely Rico - I just wanted to check that a new member with few posts actually knows something like that and doesn't come back in a few weeks asking why their pictures are trailing or having difficulty viewing the zenith etc. Only to discover they really needed EQ but didn't know at the time of purchase. :)

I agree that the Bird Jones should be avoided. There are a couple of issues that you should consider with both the others scopes. The first is that you have to be prepared to fiddle with collimation (adjusting the alignment of the optics). The experience I had with one Celestron 130SLT is that the collimation was off right out of the box. The second is that in the case of the Celestron at least, it came with two eyepieces 9mm and 25mm. The highest magnifcation you will get is thus 650/ 9 = 72 times. This will be inadequate if you are interested in planetary viewing so you will have to purchase additional eyepieces. If you have decided on a GOTO mount Alan64's suggestion would be a better choice, and the FLO price is comparable to that of the Celestron. If you would consider a manual mount, then you will of course have other choices with more bang for the buck.  Best of luck!

I would assume that they are very similar. Perhaps the only difference would be that the eyepieces supplied with the skywatcher are slightly better, although you would want to upgrade them eventually. I have the sw and find it very good.

Thanks for all the help!! There is a lot more to this than I ever imagined. I basically thought that a goto would be good for me to learn where everything is, I will be using it for visuals and not imaging and for a mix of planetary and dso but mainly planetary. I don't mind buying extra eyepieces but was really looking at spending no more than £300 to start with. I'm glad you told me about the bird Jones scopes as I was very close to going with the 114lcm. As for the different types of mounts, I'll basically be using it in my back garden and am looking for a quick set up that doesn't require much adjusting.

i hope this adds a bit more light to what I'll be doing, and once again, thanks for all your help! 

Gareth

The nearest planets are easy to find without Goto. You can see them with the naked eye as very bright stars. Just download Stellarium, which can show you where they are at any time.

In regards to goto and possibly non goto, while there's a learning phase (identifying constellations, planets, specific stars) star hopping to various targets can be quite rewarding, using Stellarium or similar. You'll need to have enough visible stars to start with but a finderscope will show you more stars and help you get there. Goto would be great in lots of light pollution but forgoing it might then buy you more apperture and more enticing views (8" Dob?).

Your middle scope listed is over £300 so I would also suggest the skywatcher star discovery 150p. The freedom find feature also means you can use it and the mount with no power. Obviously if you want to use tracking then you need batteries and if you want to use goto then power demand is higher for slewing so would be better to use a power source.

If you have an astronomy shop or club near you it can be helpful for seeing different telescopes and mounts before making a choice.

Thanks for all the help!! There is a lot more to this than I ever imagined. I basically thought that a goto would be good for me to learn where everything is, I will be using it for visuals and not imaging and for a mix of planetary and dso but mainly planetary. I don't mind buying extra eyepieces but was really looking at spending no more than £300 to start with. I'm glad you told me about the bird Jones scopes as I was very close to going with the 114lcm. As for the different types of mounts, I'll basically be using it in my back garden and am looking for a quick set up that doesn't require much adjusting.

i hope this adds a bit more light to what I'll be doing, and once again, thanks for all your help! 

Gareth

Well, decision made. I went for the Celestron nexstar 130slt. I managed to get it for a price I couldn't turn down. This has now left me with a few £'s left over so I was thinking about a power pack, can anyone recommend a good value one?

Thanks. Gareth 

Congrats Gareth - enjoy your new scope. :)

Have a look at the Maplins and Halfords power packs and car battery starters - they're very similar to the Celestron/Skywatcher alternatives only without the branding and only half the price. :)

Congrats... I'm sure you will enjoy the scope. I think there are some compact power packs that you can attach to the moving part of the mount so that you do not have to worry about cord wrap.

Gareth -

Now that you have a scope coming at you, how about a 'Planetarium-Program' to help you find your way around the nighttime sky? Someone mentioned Stellarium, and you really should get this. You set it up for your location and tell it what you want on it: Stars. Planets. Galaxies. Etc. And it will provide these - and tons more, too. Similar software-programs can cost you upwards of £200. Stellarium is completely free. Really! So here's my Cut & Paste for this, with instructions. And I'll leave you with a screenshot of how mine is set-up (which is quite advanced - don't worry, you can keep yours simple if you choose):

On this link is the main page for downloading Stellarium. Choose which version is correct for your computer. Here you go:

http://www.stellarium.org/

As for instructions, the most current one's are posted in Wiki due to there being new features & functions being created almost daily. There is also a Pdf. that's almost up-to-date, absolutely enough 'up-to-date' in all needed ways. Here's the Wiki-Link:

http://www.stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Stellarium_User_Guide

And the Pdf. is here:

http://barry.sarcasmogerdes.com/stellarium/stellarium_user_guide-new.pdf

Enjoy!

Dave

stellarium-089.thumb.png.8270002f49814c8

(Click image for full-size)

Wow! Thanks for all the help/advice!!

I'm a member on a few other forums (cycling, I do a bit of crit racing) and non of them have been as helpful and welcoming as this forum.

I'm due to pick my scope up on Wednesday and have a portable power pack on order from my local Halfords. But, can anyone tell me whether the 130slt comes with a mains power lead? Because when I'll be using it in my garden I've got an outside socket right next to where I'll be setting it up.

once again, many thanks.

Gareth

Most commercial mounts run on 12v dc and are intended for use outside, so they usually come with battery leads. You can get mains power supplies that step 240v down to 12v from places like Maplins. FLO do one of their models:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/maplins-xm21x-7a-138v-regulated-mains-power-supply.html

But it needs to run in a dry ventilated environment like an obsy or an open tent - not for outside use in moist air. They usually have a ciggy socket or threaded terminals you can plug the scope leads into. Regulated supplies with the right fuses are preferred. :)

Archived