Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars Filter Heads Up

Well, That's a first, posted a heads up and then had a think and bought it myself, got to be worth a punt at that price with a large scope and better southern skies than the UK, still will be low but not as bad as.

Alan

John,

I t could help if some better weather was on route with it, it has been awful here now for 3 weeks which wasn't that bad as I was too ill to do anything with the scopes, still not back to fighting fit yet.

I will post a full report of course, at least I have now a good cross-section of scopes to assess it nicely, I feel we always felt larger scopes did better with these filters, lets see.

3 hours ago, John said:

What we need is a Mars elevator rather than a filter - it's going to be very low down at opposition this year :undecided:

Don't want to sound smug, but have a week in the Canaries booked for mid April. Mars should be well positioned at such a southerly latitude. Little Equinox with a Nagler zoom should show it well. But I made a major mistake by not checking on the moon phase - only going to get really dark skies around 5am on first couple of mornings. A rookie error, and one I've made before.

In 2003, Mars was high up in my sky - and HUGE! So much so that the nightly news from all the major networks were exhorting all their viewers to go and look. Even our flying-saucer believers expected invasion was pending at any time!

I was out with a 12" LX200 SCT, and my 5" achromatic refractor. And there was Sirius Optics offering a Mars 2003 Filter - which I bought. It worked very nicely in separating rusty maria-zones. The polar-caps were delightful. But a massive sand-storm spread across most of the Martian surface a day later. But I'll never forget the beautiful sight of Mars in it's once-in-a-lifetime showing. So this thread caught my attention.

I still have that filter,

Dave

IMG_1099.JPG.456ac5a8a54bd757007b9eadce6

IMG_1100.JPG.f76b5c8033a7d7fec386a8f73ba

Archived