Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My new observatory - up and running

Parallax

Following on from my previous post regarding my new observatory, I have now got it to a workable state.

I had a trial run last night to see what problems might arise. There were a few:-

The padlock makes a noise against the clasp. Fix - heat shrink sleeving

Shoes clip-clop on the wooden floor. Fix - carpet tiles (or slippers!)

I needed to see the laptop screen whilst at the scope. Fix - remote screen.

The remote screen is also a touch screen, so I will be able to control the software as well.#

As you can see, I have kept the tripod as oppossed to a pier. I felt that I have spent enough.

It is a bit tight for space (scope room 6' x 5' 6", warm room 6' x ~2' 6") but overall I am happy with the result.

Steve

p.s. The HEQ5 and shed were courtesy of a tax refund, so to HMRC - cheers.

post-14051-133877342693_thumb.jpg

Very nice Steve. I'm sure you'll get a lot more use out of your kit. I have an EQ6 too and I'm getting too old to be bothered humphing it in out of the garage, especially when it clouds over just after I've set it up! So an obsy is definately on my list! :D

nice set up and obs there mate, how much you looking at for something like that? i'm kinda toying with the idea of an obs and wanted a ballpark figure.

The 'off the shelf' shed was £335, but with the modifications I asked for (separate gable ends, lower door and stronger wall bearers) it increased to £400. Other bits and pieces (wood, angle iron, electrics, castors, paint etc) pushed it upto around £550-£600. I utilised the existing greenhouse base so didn't have to lay a concrete base. I did price this up though, and it was about £75.

HTH

Steve

The scope looks quite at home in there Steve. Very cosy setup, the separate control section is a great addition for an obs. I wish I had done one at the same time as the observatory, but I will have to add on before the dark skies return.

You did a good job there. Thank goodness for Tax Refunds He!. :D

Ron.

Looking good!

I like the idea of heat shrink sleeving to reduce clatter. My turnbuckles seem to make an awful lot noise! I've never used such sleeving though, can someone fill me in on where to buy and how to apply?

Thanks

Helen

Why not try a bit of cable wrap Helen. Like a cable tidy for Computer spaghetti.

Maplin sells both. Heat shrink, and tidies. The heat shrink is activated with a heat gun or Hair Dryer once it is in place.

Ron.

Pardon the small Hi-Jack Steve. :D

Archived