NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using a Skywatcher ST80 for imaging

Finding my 20mm f/5 too heavy for imaging on the Celestron CG5- GT mount (and not having enough cash for better),  I decided to mount the Skywatcher  ST 80 on it instead and see what I could do with unguided imaging, but taking bias, flats and darks. The exposure time of the subs was 45seconds.  Most images are based on around 40 subs, except for the Horsehead, which was based on about 8 !  Horsehead, NGC2683  in Lynx and NGC 2403 in Camelopardis.

20160216-NGC2403.jpg

20160216-NGC2683-2.jpg

20160216-Horsehead Nebula.jpg

On 2/16/2016 at 10:16, happy-kat said:

The last image has interesting bits to look at (I'm not technical so excuse my description).

Do you have filters already, you might find this post interesting to compliment your imaging with your ST80.

Link

That is a great image.  It shows  what can be done with the right experience, regardless (almost) of the equipment to hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've quite enjoyed imaging with my ST80 in the past. However, I reckon the ST102 might be better as it has a 2" focuser and should take a field flattener though the extra cost of a ff might be hard to justify... Still, with a ff and a SW autofocuser you'd have a decent narrowband setup :)

Louise

3 minutes ago, alacant said:

Why doesn't anyone use achromats for imaging?

Evidently, some people do and have. But mostly we hear from folks who a £650 apo instead. People seem to be terribly concerned with a bit of CA - even though this can be filtered out in processing, according to the people who have used achro's and still do.

For sometime, the world's biggest telescope was the 40" refractor (achro) at Yerkes. I image that beast was capable of some wonderful photographs - back in the Olden-Days of early astro-photography.

Dave

56d2ce6b2560b_Yerkes_Observatory40inch.t

Hi

Yes, I agree. I got a big refractor for €400. I get great views and use use it for photos. I have a 80mm as a finderscope. If I had only the latter, I'd see a lot less. I don't get the ca thing. It looks a lot more natural than having 4 spikes emerge from every star. If you need to I found a filter in StarTools which dumps the blue back on the RG.

Wonderful photo. Thanks. I think it's still going. That's one heavily modified EQ6 they've got it mounted on!

Archived