Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New to site, hello advice please thank you

Hi,

I've got a Sky Watcher Evo 6 inch f8 f1200mm refractor (Youknow the old 'blue' one), haven't had it that long, I think the collimation may be a bit off? I'm not entirely sure, I've tried testing it a few times with different eyepieces, first of all with 32mm Plossls, the stars seemed slightly elongated and pointy to one side (Sorry don't have any pics to show you), not really lovely, crisp, sharp, round and pin pointy as they should be? Then I tried my 10mm wide angle lens, seemed a bit better with this one though for some reason. Don't know if it's something to do with the atmospheric conditions/dew, my different eyepieces or even my star diagonals perhaps at fault, although when I tested it out later on in the night to point at Jupiter for the first proper time it seemed fine and sharp (With my 8mm anyway), then I tried the 32mm Plossls again there was a bit of ghosting and elongated/stretching of the planet and a bit of colour fringing now again around the planet, and the Galilean Moons looked a bit starry pointy shaped, but I think that may be the fact that my telescope is only an f8. Not really sure how the starry view should look through this particular type of telecope? Perhaps it pertains only to this particular telescope type, optics and model anyway? Not entirely sure what proper collimation is supposed to look like through the Evo? Do you think I should try and collimate my telescope? I'm a bit concerned that I may make it worse, also I've never collimated a telescope before, I've heard it could b a bit daunting and fiddly! Or leave it as it is? What do you think guys?

Tony

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. Refractors usually do not require to be collimated, unless they have been dropped or had a serious bump. Collimation of these scopes is not a simple matter and should left to the experts. However, if only one eyepiece is giving the strange star shapes the fault may lie with it. Try rotating the eye piece. If the strange image rotates too then it is the eye piece that is faulty.

Hi Tony and welcome to SGL - What I know about looking through a scope could be written on a very small pin head :D Someone will come along soon that know the answer to your questions I'm sure.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hello Pete, no the focuser does not sag, i'ts quite strong and sturdy stuff but can be quite difficult sometimes to get precise focus because it's the old rack and pinion focuser so can be at times quite hard to get a super smooth sharp focus, although I probably will try to fit (If it's possible on this scope) a super smooth Crayford Focuser.

Thanks guys for your help and advice above, I will attach an email to which was sent to me by another Stargazers Lounge member (glowjet) whom answered my initial email enquiry (He said I placed in my first email enquiry in the wrong part of the site), for your perusal below attached, thank you.

''Yes, thank you very much for your answer, as you may know I am still quite a new member to Stargazers Lounge, and I am still not quite offe of how to find or what section to use for advice and help pertaining to telescope matters etc., I think I did mention that I may have a collimation problem with my telescope. Although did not mention all (Tried to keep my first email on SGL short), because when I purchased it last year I could not take off the front dew cap of my telescope (Lens was quite dust covered and a bit dewy stained, so to clean it etc.), it was really stuck on hard, so still learning and quite new to these Astronomy/Telescope matters etc., I thought it was the front Phillips, and Allan screws that was holding on the dew cap?! Still learning, I know of course now it was holding the front objective lens because as I removed the first two Phillips screws the objective very suddenly fell off to one side, still only one screw thank heavens holding it on! I managed to screw and secure back the lens into place, to which is why I am a bit suspicious about the collimatiom of my telescope (My Sky Watcher Evo 6 inch f8).

Thanks for your help John, and bye for now.''

Replies and feedback appreciated guys, thanks.

Tony

Hi Tony and welcome to SGL :)

Try a star test to confirm your collimation. Get a bright star as sharp and well focused as you can in the center of the eyepiece - then move it slightly out of focus in one direction. You should see what is described as "faint airy circles" - the further you go the wider they get. The circles should all be perfectly round and perfectly concentric. Go back to the focus point and then defocus in the other direction - the circles should appear the same faint, airy, round and concentric.

If the circles aren't as I describe then it's not collimated as it should be. Hth :)

Sorry - this should work:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwju0bjt3PTKAhWBk5AKHdg_CycQFghWMAc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fobservatory.mvastro.org%2Flibrary%2FMeade_APO_Refractor%2FMeade_Refractor_Collimation.pdf&usg=AFQjCNH8u1J2dqvxa6rAZUqQ8rTOREW61g&sig2=oMPCs5BOGCwZYDUDefj5tg

It´s not the same telescope as Tonino's, but it deals with much the same problems. I too couldn't work out how to take off the lens cap of my 120 when it arrived, almost took a screwdriver to it!

Archived