NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fixing Teflon in place

Stu

I suspect I know the answer to this but thought I would check.

Can you glue Teflon in place, or is it simply too slippery to adhere to anything regardless of the glue used?

Im assuming that countersunk screws are probably the best option?

Cheers!

Teflon sheeting Derek. I'm trying to put together a mount for my vixen so need some for bearings etc 

EDIT If it was Teflon saucepans then I know how to do it, just burn some sausages and they stick quite well ??

I have some of this that I planned to use to replace the bearing rings on my Flextube Dob. I didn't even consider how I would get it to stick!

I am sure there must be some sort of adhesive that would at least hold it in place - Superglue for glass or plastic might work? - but if you want it to be completely bonded to whatever you are fixing it to then I suppose some countersunk screws/bolts might be the only answer.

As part of my job I occasionally had to replace Teflon bearing guides in MRI scanners where metals could not be used.

Teflon will not adhere to any common adhesives unless it is first pre-treated to disrupt the surface at a moleclular level, mechanical abrasion has no effect, it just tears the surface but does not change it chemically.

I used a special chemical etchant for fluorocarbons that was brushed on the surface of the Teflon, left for ten minutes and wiped off, then any normal adhesive would bond directly to the Teflon, I used two part epoxy but impact adhesive would work as well.

The problem is the etchant is not suitable for DIY use, it is highly reactive, containing sodium metal, has to be kept cool and used with full personal protection equipment, including gas sealed face mask as the fumes cause anneasthesia and if it spashes on the skin it reacts to form a caustic solution..not very nice...always frightened me just handling the sealed bottle!

It has been a few years since I last used it, I think it was called Tetra-Etch from the chemical company Gore and cost around £300 for a 500ml bottle. Once the bottle is opened it has a shelf life between seven and thirty days.

In the factory when the Teflon bearings were originally installed in the MRI scanners they used a plasma torch to pre-treat the surface of the Teflon, which does the same job of disrupting the surface of the Teflon but without using dangerous chemicals, then the bearings can be glued in place.

Normal gas torches don't work either, the Teflon surface molecules react with H20 and CO in the flame and form preferential bonds with those compounds instead of the glue you want to use, also burning Teflon produces highly toxic fumes.

For the DIY builder the only options for sticking Teflon to a component are mechanical fixings such as recessed bolts or clamps, use pre-treated self-adhesive Teflon film laid over a supporting element. 3M used to carry a large range of self adhesive Teflon film, or use pre-treated Teflon block. Chemically pre-treated looks "chalky" and feels rough on the treated side, plasma pre-treated often looks the same both sides but feels rough on the treated side. Do not use any cleaning solutions or abrasives on the treated side, just wipe it with a dry clean cloth or paper towel and glue it in place.

6 hours ago, Oddsocks said:

As part of my job I occasionally had to replace Teflon bearing guides in MRI scanners where metals could not be used.

Teflon will not adhere to any common adhesives unless it is first pre-treated to disrupt the surface at a moleclular level, mechanical abrasion has no effect, it just tears the surface but does not change it chemically.

I used a special chemical etchant for fluorocarbons that was brushed on the surface of the Teflon, left for ten minutes and wiped off, then any normal adhesive would bond directly to the Teflon, I used two part epoxy but impact adhesive would work as well.

The problem is the etchant is not suitable for DIY use, it is highly reactive, containing sodium metal, has to be kept cool and used with full personal protection equipment, including gas sealed face mask as the fumes cause anneasthesia and if it spashes on the skin it reacts to form a caustic solution..not very nice...always frightened me just handling the sealed bottle!

It has been a few years since I last used it, I think it was called Tetra-Etch from the chemical company Gore and cost around £300 for a 500ml bottle. Once the bottle is opened it has a shelf life between seven and thirty days.

In the factory when the Teflon bearings were originally installed in the MRI scanners they used a plasma torch to pre-treat the surface of the Teflon, which does the same job of disrupting the surface of the Teflon but without using dangerous chemicals, then the bearings can be glued in place.

Normal gas torches don't work either, the Teflon surface molecules react with H20 and CO in the flame and form preferential bonds with those compounds instead of the glue you want to use, also burning Teflon produces highly toxic fumes.

For the DIY builder the only options for sticking Teflon to a component are mechanical fixings such as recessed bolts or clamps, use pre-treated self-adhesive Teflon film laid over a supporting element. 3M used to carry a large range of self adhesive Teflon film, or use pre-treated Teflon block. Chemically pre-treated looks "chalky" and feels rough on the treated side, plasma pre-treated often looks the same both sides but feels rough on the treated side. Do not use any cleaning solutions or abrasives on the treated side, just wipe it with a dry clean cloth or paper towel and glue it in place.

Thank you Oddsocks, really interesting and very useful ??

Have you tried a "Super-Glue" compound? It may stick to the unstickable Teflon®. If you do give that a go - I suggest Gorilla Glue brand - please post the result. I also must reiterate - DON'T USE HIGH HEAT OR FLAME! Teflon® decomposes around 235C, giving off Hydrogen Fluoride. HF etches glass - imagine what it does to you! Only worse.

Dave (the chemist)

On 10/02/2016 at 09:21, Dave In Vermont said:

Have you tried a "Super-Glue" compound? It may stick to the unstickable Teflon®. If you do give that a go - I suggest Gorilla Glue brand - please post the result. I also must reiterate - DON'T USE HIGH HEAT OR FLAME! Teflon® decomposes around 235C, giving off Hydrogen Fluoride. HF etches glass - imagine what it does to you! Only worse.

Dave (the chemist)

It also gives off phosgene - a whole lot worse for your health than HF...

ChrisH

Archived