Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help choosing my first telescope :)

I have just decided to buy my self a telescope I have been interested in buying one for a while but now am goin to :) I have about £150 to use and would like some help on which one too choose as there are many to choose from haha. any advice would be much appreciated:) 

A few questions Shaun first. How much storage room do you have, are you fit and able to lug the weight around, will you be travelling to places with it or using in a garden or similar and how dark is it where you are/intend viewing from?

Once you give us these it will help us understand your needs better.

Steve

I have a 8&6 shed witch has got quite a lot of room . I will be mainly using this in my garden but it's fairly dark as i live in a tiny town with dim lighting :) I've got a car but I could carry it I would think :) cheers 

Or you don't stretch your budget and you buy that Dobsonian second hand.

If you have the option, I would advice you to visit a physical telescope store, or an observatory or a club. It is a good idea to see different models.

+1 on the Skywatcher 150P Dobsonian. Aperture, the diameter of the tube, is one of the most important considerations. The more aperture, the more light gathering potential, which means you can see fainter objects and in theory at least get higher magnifications.

The Dobsonian mount is very simple to use, and the set up is quite portable. It is also cheaper to make than tripod mounts, so more of your money goes on the telescope itself. The only serious disadvantage is that it is very limited for astrophotography - but in this case, better alternatives cost a great deal more.

The type of telescope is a Newtonian reflector which used curved mirrors rather than lenses to gather light - again, cheaper to make than glass so bigger and better for the price. The only disadvantage is that you have to occasionally re-align the mirrors (collimation) to get the best results. It's not difficult with a bit of practice!

Given what you have said and if you can stretch the budget a little then the Skyliner 150p is the thing for you.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

Get used to it and don't worry about collimation, eyepieces etc until you know your way around it a little better. this will serve you well if as you say you live in a dark town anyway.

UnFortunately there isn't a telescope store where I live :( and I don't even think there is a observer club either it's a small island hahaha I will look into trying to find a second hand one :) thanks for the great information ? There are so many to choose and i didn't reli know what too look for thanks 

Hi , After 5yrs of interest in astronomy and 8 telescopes I must say that my favorite small quick to use scope was my Skymax 127. Its a cassigrain scope that will give you good viewing and if you have a camera will give some good images. If you keep your eyes on ebay etc you should find like I did a OTA (scope without a mount) for a good price. They need no collination and no maintenance. With a barlow and a few eye pieces you will have tons of fun. NOW the word or warning. A telescope of any kind is only as good as the mount it is on. A firm favorite of most is an EQ5 which you can get as a manual and later add motor drives if necessary. If you only want to look at planets or the odd deep space object then a Skywatcher AZ3 Alt Az mount is all you need and again you should be able to get one second hand.Hope thats of help. Jay

Hi Shaun,

This is also an option, with a capable telescope under darker skies, and an introductory equatorial mount for learning the design's workings, and for when a larger one may be had in future, for astrophotography perhaps...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p.html

The 130mm f/5 optical tube is rotatable, and for more comfortable eye placement at the focusser.  The focusser on the 150mm f/8 is fixed.

A 150mm f/8 Newtonian on a Dobson-mount has a focal length of 1200mm.  The 130mm f/5, albeit the next size down in aperture, although still quite capable, has a focal length of 650mm, and at about half of that of the 150mm f/8.

Eyepieces generally range from 5mm to 32mm...

1200mm ÷ 32mm = 38x magnification; a 2" 38mm: 32x, and the lowest practical power.  1200mm ÷ 5mm = 240x, and perhaps the highest practical power.

650mm ÷ 32mm = 20x, and like that of a pair of 20x80 binoculars.  The 130mm f/5, therefore, would better serve as its own finder, then to pop in an eyepiece of higher magnification for a closer look.  650mm ÷ 5mm = 130x; but with a 6mm and a 2x barlow, and for a simulated 3mm: 217x, and near or at the limit of its magnification.

The 150mm f/8 would favour lunar and planetary observations, the higher magnifications thereof; whilst the 130mm f/5 would favour deep-sky observations, as well as higher magnifications for the Moon and planets, and therefore more versatile; more of an all-around telescope.  In addition, basic, casual astrophotography can be realised more easily with the 130mm f/5 and its equatorial.

Neither telescope would be a poor choice.  Each has its pros and cons which should be carefully weighed before deciding.

I have a 150mm f/5, with a focal length of 750mm, on a simple alt-azimuth mount, and I take photos by holding a small camera up to the eyepiece and snapping a shot...

12K-Klee3.jpg.87dfc71cf3a730b3bb1c3c7eb9

M13.jpg.1f76e97510440543cb014a40650475e2

101915.jpg.5183b9643bbf633a8ae906f00000e

The 130mm f/5 would perform similarly.

Cheers,

Alan

Archived