NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

qhy5l ii 9x50/ adapter/ finder scope focus problem

hi all just wondered if anyone was using a qhy5l ii mono camera on a 9x50 finder scope that came with my ed80 ,purchased an adapter than screwed into the body of the finder scope and the qhy5 l ii screwed into that,but the image of a star, is see through and about 2 inches in diameter when using it in phd2 for guiding ,any one else had problems please

I have the same set up and obtain a good focus just by sliding the camera in or out of the adapter, locking it in place then fine tuning with the finder scope focusser (start with the focusser in a mid point)  Try it in daylight and you can slide on the parafocal ring you got with the camera and then you will find it easier in the dark.

David

1 hour ago, Daniel-K said:

try backing the adapter out of the finder a bit see if that helps  

18 minutes ago, BargeGazer said:

I have the same set up and obtain a good focus just by sliding the camera in or out of the adapter, locking it in place then fine tuning with the finder scope focusser (start with the focusser in a mid point)  Try it in daylight and you can slide on the parafocal ring you got with the camera and then you will find it easier in the dark.

David

Yes, I had the same problem. This is the solution.

2 hours ago, BargeGazer said:

David

thanks was that with the screw in adapter thanks

Just now, iwols said:

thanks was that with the screw in adapter thanks

yeah with the C mount thats attached to the camera just back it out a little once you find it you can always lock tight it if you dont use your finder for anything else :)

I have the same setup, slide in and out until you get it in focus. Sometimes that adapter is not long enough for this scope to focus. Try to pull the camera out a little and hold it in place and see if you get it to focus. I had the same problem and I thought there was something wrong with the camera. Something like this might help http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FF1AHHK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2QGSSHY6RX5FN

thanks for all replies spent this afternoon lining my main scope up with the guide scope and focused on something about 150-200m away with both my main camera and the qhy5l ii both showing the same in focus pic just to try on a star now

Had all this frustration ages ago when I too tried using a finder as a guide scope. Gave up and brought a celestron 70mm travel scope on ebay for £30 and it is fantastic. Tons of focus and useful in more ways than you would think. Jay

Archived