NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fast forward to summertime!

ollypenrice

Tom and I have been talking about projects and it struck me that I already have the makings of quite a big Cygnus mosaic centred on the Crescent. In fact I already have the Ha for the missing top right. Although these two widefields (Sadr to Crescent and Crescent to Tulip) were taken over a year apart as standalone images, it turned out that they calibrated together very easily. Could be fun. I have no idea what's goig on in the bottom left quadrant, though.

sadr%20to%20tulup%20web-XL.jpg

Olly

3 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Very nice project Olly - I look forward to seeing the development of this. Hows the winter project coming on? :)

It isn't!  We were sidetracked by the big HaOIIILRGB thing we did to connect M35 with the Jellyfish and Monkeyhead, since which time it's been pesky weather.

11 minutes ago, johnrt said:

Whoah there! As much as I like the look of this project we're not skipping spring and all those awesome galaxies! :D

Yes please, lets skip galaxy season .... They're a pain in the bum :D:D  .... no colour creativity ...... so small ....... 

2 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Yes please, lets skip galaxy season .... They're a pain in the bum :D:D  .... no colour creativity ...... so small ....... 

NOOOOOO, Galaxies are GREAT and you can eat them :)

Dave

13 hours ago, swag72 said:

Hey! No galaxy bashing. They are my favorite objects to image. I'm sure your new Avalon mount could hold a very nice long focal length scope you could switch out your itty bitty little one for :icon_biggrin: lol

Just kidding. I love yours and Olly's wide fov shots. The mosaics you two put together are stunning. Can't wait to see how this one comes together....if Olly doesnt find another target to get sidetracked on lol. 

18 hours ago, swag72 said:

I think the single most astounding colour moment for me was with a galaxy (though this is, I agree, exceptional.) The cores of the Antennae have colour I've never seen elsewhere in astronomy. I think you can see the remnants of the two original cores in the golden parts and as for the rest of the colour, it knocked my socks off! I was expecting the fun to be in the tidal tails, but no.

ANTENNAE%205HRS%20WEB%20CROP-L.jpg

Olly

5 hours ago, nmoushon said:

......I'm sure your new Avalon mount could hold a very nice long focal length scope you could switch out your itty bitty little one for.....

There's no new Avalon mount for me :) The Linear is in full use and copes just fine with the ODK10 at 1700mm :D

That shot is superb Olly and that one is on my list of things to attack ....... one day :)

19 hours ago, swag72 said:

There's no new Avalon mount for me :) The Linear is in full use and copes just fine with the ODK10 at 1700mm :D

I thought you got a new one...I guess not though. Where you testing one maybe? Maybe my brain is just to confused. 

Olly's image is exactly why I love galaxies! Just hope one day I can get something even remotely comparable to that.

I saw the M-Tre on the Widescreen-Centre stand at Astrofest, carrying a couple of big cats, looked a beast.

Alas, galaxies are a no-go from here, too much LP. Maybe M101 will be do-able, so yes, roll on summer.

5 hours ago, DaveS said:

...... Alas, galaxies are a no-go from here, too much LP. .....

Naaa, have a go at the brighter ones anyway.  I'm in the Thames Valley, 15 miles from Heathrow in a bright-orange zone of LP-hell ...... it's still possible:

http://universalconstant.com/M33_LHaRGB_75.jpg
http://universalconstant.com/M81-V4.jpg
http://universalconstant.com/M106_LRGB_new.jpg
http://universalconstant.com/NGC4565_LRGB_08_V2_crop3.jpg

No excuses  :D

Adrian

Might have a go at M81 / M82 but the Leo / Virgo / Coma galaxies mean looking south across a main road and a big trading estate with their horrid lighting.

Not sure how big a 'frac I can put on my HEQ5, probably not big enough for galaxies.

Archived