Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello, help needed newbie

Hi, I am very new to Astronomy. Recently purchased a Celestron Nester 102 SLT and am amazed at what I am seeing!

I need help if somebody has knowledge of my problem. I have a Samsung NX1000 camera and would like to capture some images.

I have a mounting bracket to just align the camera to the eye-piece. I have now purchased the correct T2 adaptor and T ring to mount the camera to the scope.

A couple of questions here: the refractor scope has the star diagonal fitted. my camera adaptors will allow fitting directly to the scope thread or mount into the star diagonal.

I cannot determine which is the correct way, I also have a Celestron x2 Barlow. whichever combination of mounting or lenses I try the camera picks up zero image.

Should I use a particular mode and settings on the camera? any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Hello and welcome to SGL . Ideally the light path to the camera should as straight as possible to avoid degradation. To do this you might find that you need an extension tube to get the camera into the correct position to achieve focus, a 2" tube is sometimes quoted for this (try this out in daylight first). The camera should be set to manual mode and shutter speed /iso rating adjusted to give the correct exposure. 

You could take images of the Moon/Planets with the 102. The camera needs to be mounted onto the telescope directly - not the diagonal. Once mounted you will need to focus the camera - I am not familiar with the NX1000 so I can't help with that.

Peter

Hi Spikkyboy,

First post I see, so welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of information here of all aspects of astronomy.
Just ask and a lot of good people here are totally willing to answer your questions. Have fun! that is the most important thing.

As far as your question goes:
Use the T ring and T2 adapter to connect your camera to your scope without using the star diagonal, and try to get into focus. May be the distance to the sensor is too short. Then you can not achieve focus and will need an extension tube. If you go back to half way the focus range and try to move the camera away from the connection with a steady hand until you have a reasonable view on your display to estimate the distance. Use the moon to get an impression.

Once you got that, you can order an extension tube of the right length, so you can achieve focus.
The Barlow may work for planetary imaging, but your camera may not. Webcams are more suited for that.

Be aware that DSO imaging is a quite a challenge !! Not really something to start with. Not only for you but also for your equipment.
First get acquainted with your equipment and the night sky, think it over at least a couple of times and safe a lot of money before you make the jump.
most of that should be spent on a mount: the most critical piece of equipment.

Because of the short exposure times, first the moon and then the planets will be most satisfying to start with.

Above all:  have fun! (and be patient)

Waldemar

Hi Spikkyboy and welcome to SGL, if you are still having problems, where appropriate, try reposting some of your questions into the imaging sections, where there is a wealth of information for you to tap into, enjoy the forum :)

Archived