NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

All ordered, just waiting for the delivery guy!!

Hi everyone.

after numerous emails between Martin at FLO and myself over the last week or so, I've eventually done the deed and ordered my new setup. I had so much terrific advice from Martin, the guys a legend! I've finally decided on a 130 PDS on a HEQ5 mount. It was my intention to initially go with an 80ED but finally settled on the 130 after spending hours on the members thread showing all the pics taken. Totally blew me away and Rob, who has a fantastic collection of photographs on the thread, has also very kindly helped me, so many thanks to you both.

We''ve had a couple of clearish skies here over the last few days and I've been finding myself outside at 2 in the morning sitting on the patio wishing that I'd taken the plunge a while ago but as everyone knows, given the disgusting weather recently, I doubt if I'd been able to start before now anyway. 

Im getting really excited now especially as I worked on a property for a nice couple who live deep in the Brecon Beacons yesterday, who have invited me to share their really dark sky which they're lucky enough to live below. Only 40 minutes away to boot. Saying that, polar alignment is not doing much for my confidence at the moment and I'll probably end up wasting the one night I go there trying to get my rig set up! Never mind, one day hopefully.

anyway, just thought I'd let you all know my exciting (for me anyway) news and can't wait to tell you all about my first experience once I'm all set up and sorted and hopefully seeing some of the things on offer!!! 

Dan

The first steps are the most exciting but it is so easy to get lost in technicalities that you can quickly forget why you bought the telescope in the first instance. As Peter said in the post above just point roughly north & refine as you go learning along the way. It's a great journey but the sky is going to be around far longer than any of us- so take your time, savour the experience & don't forget to enjoy your time under the stars. The forum is great & will give you all the help you need.

Dan, I know the feeling of getting your first scope, really exciting but a bit apprehensive. 

When your gear arrives take the time to set it up in daylight and have a fiddle so you know how it all works. While you're doing this align the finder on a distant object.

Any problems/questions you know where to come.

Good luck and enjoy.

Congratulations! As others have said, keep it simple at first and enjoy the night sky.

I do hope you break the normal sequence of events i.e.. Buy new equipment, get excited, then nothing but clouds for weeks on end...

I bought a Star Analyzer a couple of weeks ago, and haven't been able to use it yet. Last night I looked out at 10.00pm, clear skies, so set up the scope and aligned it. Connected up camera and couldn't see anything on the laptop. Looked up only to see total cloud cover. The wretched things had sneaked in just after I had finished the alignment.

Eric.

Only last year I was in the same boat as you. My first scope arrived and I spent a few daylight hours rigging and de rigging it all. Then shoulder problems and two operations meant my lovely scope has been untouched since April, so learning how to align it and get everything working is still a joy to be experienced. I'm hoping my shoulders have improved enough to allow me to safely mount my scope without dropping it! The anticipation of seeing a previously undiscovered world is fantastic isn't it :-)

good luck with your new hobby, I hope you have a great experience with it. 

Archived