Finder scopes for SCT telescopes.

I have a Celestron C9. I tried using my Telrad finder on it. But it was to cumbersome for my likeing. There is the Williams Optics non magnified finder which is good. I have also considered the Celestron RACI. What do others use on their SCT telescopes?

I use a home-made 14x70 (now sporting a home made illuminated reticle Antares 25mm 70 deg EP)

post-5655-0-10682400-1368128075_thumb.jppost-5655-0-44625000-1368112502_thumb.jppost-5655-0-70940200-1368112513_thumb.jp

A RACI finder does not have any neck strain problems, and extra aperture means I can see many DSOs in the finder already.
The old 6x30 finder is still in place, just to find a first bright star, to align the big finder with the scope.

I have the Celestron 9x50 illuminatied RACI finder on C8, I find it adequate for my use,  both in backyard and dark site. I do have a Telrad, but yet to feel the need to use it together with the RACI.

Peter are you showing of by any chance? lol? Supernova, I like the idea of building your own finder. I will investigate.. Thanks for the replies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2016 at 14:01, Grumpy Martian said:

I am grateful for your replies.I have bought a Celesctron 9 x 50 RACI finderscope.

hi i have been trying to find a good replacement red dot finder on my nexstar 6se as i cant get on with it (kneeling down with higher objects) and wondering how you are getting on with yours?

I finally settled for an Antares 60mm verascope. It is a RACI,but does not have illuminated cross hairs. For some reason illuminated cross hairs do not seem to focus sharply with my previous eyesight. Happy now with this.?

I have a Meade straight-through 8 X 50mm on my 12" LX90. It is original equipment and a definite keeper. This SCT is tall enough not to worry about neck-sprain. My other scopes, including my new Maksutov, have RACI's on them. No illuminated crosshairs though. I don't like them. One is a good Orion-USA 9 X 50mm with excellent optics. One Antares 8 X 50mm that's alright. And two GSO's which I like very much indeed. Excellent optics and easy to align perfectly in the dark. And the GSO's are also the lowest priced one's here at present: $70 delivered. A win-win.

This leaves me with a Skywatcher straight 8 X 50mm I'll get around to selling. Removed it from the new Mak. Has a lovely black diamond-sparkle finish.

Happy hunting,

Dave

Archived