NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which software for image processing

leelee970

I recently tried out On1 Photo 10 and was fairly impressed. Costs about $100 although there is also a free trial. Found it when looking for an image resizer. I used to use Genuine Fractals years ago and these guys made it - now rebranded as Perfect Resize which is included with Photo 10.

It seems to dumb down a lot of stuff compared to Photoshop but makes it easy to get a good result in my opinion. At least worth a look using the trial version. Read positive reviews too.

The biggest jump in the quality of my images was when I transitioned from DeepSkyStacker to PixInsight.

Not cheap - especially as the euro has gained against the pound recently, but lots of support (see processing videos from Harry at astroshed).

Free 30 day trial licence - what's to lose by trying it?

PixInsight is excellent - if you can use it to its full potential, which excludes me for a start. It depends what sort of person you are and how well you get on with computers - do you enjoy playing with computers as a hobby? or do you treat it more as a tool to get something done, preferably using the easiest method possible!  If the former then PixInsight might well be for you. If you're a Linux user then PI was made for you! However, if the latter I think you should give StarTools a try. Both programs offer a free trial so try both. Personally I found StarTools works well for me but there are some things - more complicated things (not necessarilly essential) which I use PixInsight for.

ChrisH

Archived