Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter, Tonight Was The Night

Aussie Dave

I was outside last night having my last cig and I noticed that the stars from about 45 degrees and above were not twinkling as much as they have been on previous night. It looked much better. Should I or shouldn't I...

I've told myself not to bother with Jupiter many times and move on but with some encouragement from members I had to give it another go.

Skywatcher Pro 150

EQ5 manual tracking

Logitech C100 webcam, 640 x 480 @ 29 fps

10% 250 best frames AS!2, RS6 wavelets, finished in PDN

post-40030-0-92925500-1452982999.png

This is by far my best result to date, it's nowhere near perfect but I'm really pleased that I've captured some more detail finally  :icon_biggrin: This is 1 of about 20 videos for the night. I had to process at least 1 just to see what I captured for the nights effort. It's now 6:30am and I desperately need some sleep. Hopefully I'll have a few more to share tomorrow night.

I know it's now possible to do much better :smiley:

Thanks Knobby, Laudropb, Harvey and Des.

I've just started processing a few more videos and haven't got any better to show just yet.

One thing that is bugging me is that I can bring out fainter detail with wavelets in RS6 but it's getting those dreaded rings. I've used the de-ring setting in RS6 but it then takes away those fainter details. Is there another way or piece of software that will bring the fainter detail out?

Great job Dave and lovely colours. To improve on this you'd probably need to upgrade that web-cam and improve the image scale. (Which upgrading the camera may well do).

Regards

Harvey

Harvey I'm looking in to one of the ZWO's, not sure which to get.

I do believe I can get better results from this webcam with an 8" SCT, good tracking and a better night. At least I know when to get the imaging gear out by those twinkling stars. I'm quite happy to plug away with the webcam atm but I do want to get much better results too.

Thanks Knobby, Laudropb, Harvey and Des.

I've just started processing a few more videos and haven't got any better to show just yet.

One thing that is bugging me is that I can bring out fainter detail with wavelets in RS6 but it's getting those dreaded rings. I've used the de-ring setting in RS6 but it then takes away those fainter details. Is there another way or piece of software that will bring the fainter detail out?

Harvey I'm looking in to one of the ZWO's, not sure which to get.

I do believe I can get better results from this webcam with an 8" SCT, good tracking and a better night. At least I know when to get the imaging gear out by those twinkling stars. I'm quite happy to plug away with the webcam atm but I do want to get much better results too.

How many frames are you stacking Dave? (250)? You'll probably need more. Any of the ZWO's will give you a big improvement and probably improve the image scale too. It depends on if you want to go up the mono or coloured route. - the 224MC will give great results for colour!

Regards

Harvey

How many frames are you stacking Dave? (250)? You'll probably need more. Any of the ZWO's will give you a big improvement and probably improve the image scale too. It depends on if you want to go up the mono or coloured route. - the 224MC will give great results for colour!

Regards

Harvey

Yes 10%-15% best frames around 250-340 frames Harvey from about 1 minute 30 second videos.

Is the 224MC one of the newer ZWO's? There's a few new ones out with almost a 1/2 inch CMOS sensor.

Very nicely imaged some good detail there, I think you need more frames if you can . You could extend your imaging run to 3 minutes without blurring any detail.

The ZWO224mc is getting some very good results.

Cheers Pete. You really think 3 minutes of video won't start to show rotation? I guess it won't be too noticeable with my image scale lol. I'll give it another go when conditions are right and while deciding on the 224MC, specs look good. Being a UBS 3.0 device I'll need to buy a new laptop too.

I was at the ZWO Facebook page a moment ago and the posted images there were great for the 224MC but most people are using more that an 8" scope.

I was looking at another site 2 nights ago and one of the imagers came bundled with I think a 170 degree lens and perhaps something else thrown in on the deal as well. I can't remember which ZWO imaging camera that was now.

Yes 10%-15% best frames around 250-340 frames Harvey from about 1 minute 30 second videos.

Is the 224MC one of the newer ZWO's? There's a few new ones out with almost a 1/2 inch CMOS sensor.

You will need more frames and the web-cam is probably holding things back on this front  I suspect. As pete says, you could capture a bit longer probably without smearing things. Are you using a Barlow or anything? Winjupos will allow you to capture for much longer but is probably only worth the effort on very good data. The 224 does only have 1/3" sensor but is fine for all the visible planets.

Regards

Harvey

Cheers Pete. You really think 3 minutes of video won't start to show rotation? I guess it won't be too noticeable with my image scale lol. I'll give it another go when conditions are right and while deciding on the 224MC, specs look good. Being a UBS 3.0 device I'll need to buy a new laptop too.

I was at the ZWO Facebook page a moment ago and the posted images there were great for the 224MC but most people are using more that an 8" scope.

I was looking at another site 2 nights ago and one of the imagers came bundled with I think a 170 degree lens and perhaps something else thrown in on the deal as well. I can't remember which ZWO imaging camera that was now.

Your Skywatcher Pro Telescope Focal Length is 1800mm (f/12) I think you will be fine at 3 minutes at this length. Your 150mm scope is more than capable of producing better images.

I obviously don't what you budget is, but I think I would be tempted to motorise your mount with at least a motor for RA drive and maybe go for a 2nd hand zwo asi120mc which would be a cheaper upgrade.

Thanks Harvey. The frame rate is holding it back for sure. I'm not using a Barlow, I haven't tried. I don't like the things with EP's, they do nothing for me in that department. I consider them pretty much useless. I have a 1.25" 2x standard, 1.25" 3x ED and a 2" 2x ED.

I did try eyepiece projection with a 32mm EP and webcam but couldn't reach focus. It was Way out and I couldn't work out if I needed more inward or outward focus. I'd like to try that again with the webcam another night.

WinJupos has been around  for a while, have looked in to it. I may download it at a later date.

There was a ZWO with a 1/1.9" sensor. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's nearly a 1/2" sensor? and would this be better than a 1/3" sensor considering specs are the same and the 1/2" having a higher resolution? I've gotta do more reading...

I've processed most of the videos from last night. My best strangely enough was the one I originally posted which was at the end of the night/early morning. I seem to get best results around 4am. That's when it's the closest here at about 65 degrees (guesstimate) above the horizon.

I re-processed my original image, over processed again just to drag out more detail. Image is enlarged from full res and I had to manually paint out an outside ring that was past the edge of the planet. The inside rings I could manually blend them in, there's nothing I can really do about them.

post-40030-0-86932700-1453058002.png

Thanks Harvey. The frame rate is holding it back for sure. I'm not using a Barlow, I haven't tried. I don't like the things with EP's, they do nothing for me in that department. I consider them pretty much useless. I have a 1.25" 2x standard, 1.25" 3x ED and a 2" 2x ED.

I did try eyepiece projection with a 32mm EP and webcam but couldn't reach focus. It was Way out and I couldn't work out if I needed more inward or outward focus. I'd like to try that again with the webcam another night.

WinJupos has been around  for a while, have looked in to it. I may download it at a later date.

There was a ZWO with a 1/1.9" sensor. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's nearly a 1/2" sensor? and would this be better than a 1/3" sensor considering specs are the same and the 1/2" having a higher resolution? I've gotta do more reading...

I've processed most of the videos from last night. My best strangely enough was the one I originally posted which was at the end of the night/early morning. I seem to get best results around 4am. That's when it's the closest here at about 65 degrees (guesstimate) above the horizon.

I re-processed my original image, over processed again just to drag out more detail. Image is enlarged from full res and I had to manually paint out an outside ring that was past the edge of the planet. The inside rings I could manually blend them in, there's nothing I can really do about them.

attachicon.gif747_250Frames ASl2 RS6 Final3c (Custom).png

I'm really not familiar with your scope but Pete's advice is sound. You've overcooked the last image and the first was much better. To lose that onion ringing you will need to up the frame rate. You only need 1/3" sensor for planetary so save money and spend the savings on other things like driving the mount. This alone will improve things.

Your Skywatcher Pro Telescope Focal Length is 1800mm (f/12) I think you will be fine at 3 minutes at this length. Your 150mm scope is more than capable of producing better images.

I obviously don't what you budget is, but I think I would be tempted to motorise your mount with at least a motor for RA drive and maybe go for a 2nd hand zwo asi120mc which would be a cheaper upgrade.

Correct specs Pete. I have two motorized 8" SCT's atm. Budget really isn't an issue but I will be on the look out on the second hand market for the 120MC and 224MC now, but I don't want to find out soon after buying the 120 that I should've bought the 224 or better. Some of you seem to have 2, the mono for lunar and the colour for planetary and DSO?

Well done Dave.

Very good image.

Steve.

Cheers Steve. Not sure it's a very good image but I'm getting there... slowly :)

I'm really not familiar with your scope but Pete's advice is sound. You've overcooked the last image and the first was much better. To lose that onion ringing you will need to up the frame rate. You only need 1/3" sensor for planetary so save money and spend the savings on other things like driving the mount. This alone will improve things.

I do have 2 motorized 8" SCT's Barv, the Celestron Nexstar 8i and a SW EQ6 Pro tripod/mount for the Saxon Mak203mm and eventually for the old Meade Classic 8" LX200 EMC once I get some OTA rings or attach the dovetail bar, I'm not too keen on the idea of drilling holes in my scopes though. I've also got an older Celestron Celestar 8 on a wedgepod which has a 1 motor drive but it's going in the wrong direction, I've only recently got that finished for visual. That took about 2 years.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I like doing things the hard way, persisting and achieving the best that I can even if I fail.

I'd say I'm sold on one of the ZWO's, just need to wait now until one pops up for sale second hand at a reasonable price.

That is good news on the Budget as Astrophotography is a bottomless pit when comes to finance. 

I went down the mono (ASI120mm) route several years ago and it would take a very good colour cam to make me go back. The 224mc does look to be a bit of a game changer though, as the images it is producing are stunning. Obviously the mono images require more work, 3 x stacking, 3 x processing, then combining.

How come you don't use the Celestron Nexstar 8i for your planetary imaging?

That is good news on the Budget as Astrophotography is a bottomless pit when comes to finance. 

I went down the mono (ASI120mm) route several years ago and it would take a very good colour cam to make me go back. The 224mc does look to be a bit of a game changer though, as the images it is producing are stunning. Obviously the mono images require more work, 3 x stacking, 3 x processing, then combining.

How come you don't use the Celestron Nexstar 8i for your planetary imaging?

Um, the budget thing... Let's just say I'm no Mr. Money Bags but I'm very budget conscious, all my gear has been purchased second hand over the last 3 years I guess from saving money where I can. I'm in no rush to buy what I thought were glorified webcams. It's taken a long time for me to see and justify their prices. I'm only just coming around to it but I still say they are over priced.

Argh! Don't talk me into buying a mono as well lol. Anyway it all sounds like too much work for me, I like simple. As it is I'm still overcooking the onion rings with the webcam and my single shots, it's not so bad if you like heaps of sauce, which I do.

From what I've seen of the 224MC, which hasn't been a lot, I really do like the results that it's producing too. I think I would prefer the 224MC. It's worth checking out the ZWO Facebook page, you may even recognise a member or 2 from here.

The Celeston Nexstar has some CA I've noticed, it may just need a collimation tweak. Tracking isn't the best either, 20-30 seconds max for long exposures and it won't goto the correct location for Jupiter. I have imaged with it but not seriously on Jupiter with the webcam. My favorite scope for imaging so far is the SW Pro Mak150. Keep in mind I haven't been doing this AP thing for long, still learning. I've still got a lot of gear to test, there's always something I want to try out, it's going to take some time.

All my attempts at AP and my scopes can be found on my gallery page. All my better results get uploaded and the not so good ones get deleted, it's a WIP.

Archived