Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ic2177 Seagull Nebula

ChrisLX200

Clear last night so a chance to restore a little mojo. I thought everything had worked flawlessly until it came time to put the gear away, I'm sure frost shouldn't form on the outside of a dewstrap...

Anyway, this was one of my targets - ic2177 the Seagull Nebula (in the night sky it's located not far from Sirius, so fairly low down). This image is a stack of 10 x 1200s in Ha.

Scope: NP127is @ 660mm f/l

CCD: Moravian G4-16000 @ 1x1

Mount: 10-Micron GM2000HPS

Guide: unguided

Filters: Chroma 3nM Ha

Data: 10 x 1200s

ic2177%20Ha%20ST_zpsydhbyjdo.jpg

ChrisH

Clear last night so a chance to restore a little mojo. I thought everything had worked flawlessly until it came time to put the gear away, I'm sure frost shouldn't form on the outside of a dewstrap...

ChrisH

You were lucky, dew strap on my brand new Canon EF 70-200mm caught fire.

Could'nt get it off quick enough, thats two that have gone like that.

Anyway, nice image, it's to low here so nice to see it.

You were lucky, dew strap on my brand new Canon EF 70-200mm caught fire.

Could'nt get it off quick enough, thats two that have gone like that.

Anyway, nice image, it's to low here so nice to see it.

Thanks!  I do have a spare dewband luckily, but it did leave the objective lens coated in frost by the time I came to put it away. I still need to check out the controler though - the other possible reason for the failure.

ChrisH

That's nice. I think it's the first time that I've seen or even heard of it.

Thanks yes, It's not imaged from here very often because it's quite low and large - I did capture a bit of it last year but this is the first time I've had opportunity to capture the whole thing using a large format camera. Sadly the forecast has changed so I won't be adding any more data for a while.

ChrisH

Yep, looks great Chris, if the skies are favourable ahead, maybe see if you can add OIII to this as well since it makes a lovely bicolour image.

Martin

Thanks Martin, looking at it critically I've over-cooked the stretch and blown that little nebula off to the right. Lots of detail (was) in that but it's gone. I'll re-process when I add other channels, and yes I was rather hoping to add some OIII tonight but the forecast has changed and it's not likely now.

ChrisH

Never seen that one, but very nicely captured, despite being very low.  I like the textures and almost 3D effect.  I presume you still like the Chroma filter? I should like to see a comparison between Baader 7nm and this (3nm)  - Astrodon are out of range.......

Chris

Archived