NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing Tonight

scotttumsh

At last a clear sky forecast for tonight!! first chance i have had to observe since November with having my operation and crappy weather, so will make the most of it! still on crutches but i will mange with the help of my better half! cant wait. clear skies to all.

I plan to go out into the garden tonight with a pair of binoculars and have a look about. It'll be my first time "stargazing" tonight and I'm going to try and get a look at Orion, as they said about it on Stargazing Live last night and it looked awesome. Really looking forward to it :D

Looking good here too. Just set up. It's a bit breezy, blowing my street light screen about but too good an opportunity to miss. Hoping to catch Catalina. It's so good just to see the scope out in the open, if i get to actually using it it will be a bonus!!

Clear sky and very cold tonight, too involved with family and then work. Potentially looking very good for Saturday evening, perhaps a dark sky trip, problem is after heavy snow in North East, the back roads are full of ice, which will restrict where to head to. 

Been clear here too tonight.  Now I'm pretty satisfied my observatory can take pretty much any weather I shall start moving gear back out from indoors :)  I'm dying to get some use out of these hours of clear night sky :D

9pm Orion rising from my Eastern horizon, clouds rolling in from the West with rain/sleet showers so I packed up as the showers got heavier. Later at around 2.30am I peeped out at a thin covering of white stuff but big breaks in the cloud. I crept out with my bins and am fairly sure i saw Catalina. I'm not a hundred percent sure, it was bigger than I'd imagined but in the right place. Snow started falling again and more cloud. So not a complete disaster. I'm hoping for more clear sky tonight and maybe actually get the scope on it.

Archived