Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

lunt 60mm focuser upgrade

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Teleskop Service provide a Baader Steeltrack focuser and they can supply an adaptor to fit it onto the scope. But that's from memory of a thread about 2yrs ago so do double check with TS. I was after the same arrangement myself at some stage but never got round to it yet. You may find the relevant thread with a search here on SGL. :)

cheers grant i read said thread from a few years ago and it seems the guy said u need the baader steeltrack for newtonians....looking at the steeltrack for newtonians im a bit confused as the plate that fits onto the newtonian tube doesnt look the same as the focuser he has fitted to his lunt..........does he mean the steeltrack for refractors ?as this looks from the picture like the more suitable candidate.

Yes it will definitely be for refractors - but that refers to the adaptor I would imagine. The focuser would normally fit a newtonian is probably what they are saying,  but if you speak with TS they'll confirm exactly which bits you need and how they go together. Sorry to be a bit vague but I can't find the original thread - yet. :)

Ahh now that looks the business Davey. Looks like I'm up for more spending lol :)

@MJB...

Here's the thread mentioning the Moonlite : http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/152409-my-new-moonlite-for-my-lunt-ls60/

And here's the Baader Steeltrack one : http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/157674-replacement-focuser-lunt-l60/

Hope that helps :)

can I ask you guys what eyepieces you find are good with the lunt.

I'm using a  couple of televue plossls at the minute.

I find the tv,s a bit bright though and the cemax 20mm ive got ith the Coronado is ok but too small and using a barlow darkens it somewhat.

I was using the Baader zoom and very good it was too until I got a rush of blood and bought a Leica zoom  :icon_biggrin:

I think a zoom eyepiece suits the LS60  and Solar observing in general.

Dave

I like Leica for solar observing - I've got two ASPH and little money now!

I have bv's but not used them on the solar scope yet due to the stock focuser. I did however use a friends scope with bv's but it was a top setup - double stacked TV refractor with Denk bv's and a pair of E13's. The surface detail and stereoscopic effect was amazing - it was like looking into a crucible in a steel works. Just hope my Lunt 60 with WO bv's and a couple of SW 9mm swa's comes close lol. :)

Tried a Revelation BV but couldn't get on with it, only had the two 20mm Revelation Plossls that came with it and was hoping to borrow another TV 32mm to try with the one I've got before giving up on it.

Will tote it along to SGL X1 to see if I can cadge one to try :)

Dave

just a quick swap of my lunt 60mm pressure tuned scope stock focuser.

i looked at a few and one was the baader  diamond steeltrack for Newtonians but in the end I went for the similar priced moonlight.

Quick and simple to do.

Took me less than 5 minutes.

first job is the 3 little grub screws to remove that hold the focuser flange to the body.

be careful as once the 2nd one is removed it can and will fall off if not secured.

post-18248-0-59646700-1453047365_thumb.j

the moonlight comes with different size flanges for different tubes which can be seen in pic 4 .

post-18248-0-80375200-1453047578_thumb.j

Next comes the good bit ........doesn't she look well :icon_biggrin:

post-18248-0-58486600-1453047633_thumb.j

attach the moonlight to the body exactly as the stock one came off and

tighten the 3 grub screws back up.

You can see the flange attached to the moonlight body.

post-18248-0-20398000-1453047773_thumb.j

finally attached.

post-18248-0-30961100-1453047805_thumb.j

next remove the 1"25 adaptor from the moonlight as the lunt uses a 2" drawtube for the blocking filter

post-18248-0-11279700-1453047868_thumb.j

post-18248-0-67233000-1453047868_thumb.j

then slide your blocking filter drawtube into the new focuser and tighten the locking screws up to secure it.

post-18248-0-36938300-1453047926_thumb.j

job done!!

simple and easy to do.

the moonlight just oozes quality and feels so much different to the stock focuser.

well worth it.

now all I need is the sun to show its face so I can compare the nerw lunt to the existing Coronado 60mm .

hope this helps someone in the future.

Very classy bit of kit. Can I ask why you felt the need for an upgrade ? I know there are several people who have done the same. I have no doubt at all that there is going to be a substantial improvement swapping out the GSO focuser for a Moonlite or Baader. If money was no object I'm sure I would also but otherwise I don't actually feel the Lunt / GSO focuser does a bad job. I know my choice for the LS60 was largely swayed by the standard type focuser over the helical focusers of the LS35 & 50 as focusers are an important part of astronomy and smooth, backlash and slop free only go to enhance the experience but even so I still thing the GSO focuser does a fair job at getting me in sharp even focus (albeit dealing with the sweet spot) and would struggle to justify the expense it changing it ?? I know a lot is down to personal preference but I just wondered if I have missed something that too would make me consider the upgrade?

mainly for the performance of the focuser as we all know moonlights are at the top of the tree when it comes to focusers.

visually I think it looks a lot nicer and takes the cheap black look away from the scope.

the money wasn't really an issue as this moonlight including the flange only cost £244 and if you are buying a piece of kit that costs over £2000 then spending a little more to improve its performance and visuals doesn't hurt.

a bit like buying a nice car and putting some nice alloys on it.

I really can tell the difference in these 2 focusers,especially in the micro focuser.

highly recommended.

I particularly want to upgrade mine as I have plans to add a few bits of weighty gear like binoviewers for observing and camera for imaging. The GSO focuser isn't so bad once tweaked up a bit and used with lighter accessories.

But I find it not substantial enough for carrying much more than a large eyepiece (eg Baader zoom or TV Ethos). Even then it makes me nervous - I just don't trust the thing with high end gear. lol :)

Archived