NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

lunt 60mm focuser upgrade

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah grant the stock focuser isn't very good at handling heavy gear hence the upgrade.

not worth losing an expensive eyepiece or a good camera for the sake of a couple of hundred pounds.

they are known to be a bit flimsy at carrying heavy eyepieces and cameras.

I thought lunt offer the option of feather touch or is this an even better one ?

they do but its double the price of the moonlight.

£515 difference for the Crayford against the feathertouch.......less than half price to upgrade yourself

I have bv's but not used them on the solar scope yet due to the stock focuser. I did however use a friends scope with bv's but it was a top setup - double stacked TV refractor with Denk bv's and a pair of E13's. The surface detail and stereoscopic effect was amazing - it was like looking into a crucible in a steel works. Just hope my Lunt 60 with WO bv's and a couple of SW 9mm swa's comes close lol. :)

just delivered to me today.......a nice pair of wo binoviewers and a pair of 20mms.....also ordered a pair of 18mm cemax,s

I think that's the diameter 1.5" - I meant the length or "drawtube throw" - i.e. how far does the tube extend from the focuser body when wound fully out....

The website gives a choice of several sizes....

I'm sure its about 50mm brant if that helps.

• 3 months later...

Just finally pulled the trigger on a red Moonlite, arriving Monday. Hope it's in time for the transit - could be a close run thing though. Thank goodness it's only a 5 min job to change...... :)

• 2 months later...
On Friday, May 06, 2016 at 10:48, brantuk said:

Just finally pulled the trigger on a red Moonlite, arriving Monday. Hope it's in time for the transit - could be a close run thing though. Thank goodness it's only a 5 min job to change...... :)

How did you find the mod brant and the new focuser?

The mod was dead easy - just like you indicated with your photos - so thanks for that. And the focuser itself is an absolute dream compared to the supplied one. The supplied one is a reasonable standard, but the Moonlite is just so much more stable, stronger, smoother, and all round a totally better class of instrument. And the colour match is perfection - I'm one happy bunny with it. :)

Archived