Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heads up on NEW £130 Windows 8.1 / 10 tablets

Astroboffin

Just thought I would share this link, not sure how good it would be for Astro work, but doesn't look bad for the money, wifi, Bluetooth, touchscreen and expandable memory via micro SD card slot, also has micro USB port.

It actually comes with Windows 8.1 but as we all know Windows 10 is a free upgrade for a while longer.

It was actually £119 this morning and has gone up by £10 during the day, so must be selling well.......

If anyone has any experience using one of theses for Astro use please post your opinions.

http://www.ebuyer.com/664367-linx-10-32gb-tablet-with-office-and-antivirus-linx10b?utm_source=2016-01-05&utm_medium=campaign_email&utm_campaign=B2C_%28Tuesday%29_Openers

post-41536-0-80232600-1452017223_thumb.j

:)

AB

I may be looking for a tablet in the future as they offer a lot of battery life. However I have found that the storage space for a lot of them is too small, both Windows 8 and Windows 10 can take up a lot of space. 20-30GB+

This is from Microsoft's own website regarding system requirements:

"...Small storage devices, like devices with 32GB hard drives or older devices with full hard drives, may need additional storage to complete the upgrade."

This has 32GB which again is too small. I realise if you are dedicating it to Astro software then it does not need to be too big but it would nice for double the capacity, which of course will increase the cost into the Laptop range..

We got a linx 10 inch tablet last time round for £79.98 at Staples. Still running 8.1

I don't have lots of astro stuff on it but as a tablet it is great.

There is a thread on a HP 7 running lots and working fine.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/234107-anyone-using-cheap-windows-tablet-with-apt/?fromsearch=1

Yes space is tight so can't be a tool for everything.

I may be looking for a tablet in the future as they offer a lot of battery life. However I have found that the storage space for a lot of them is too small, both Windows 8 and Windows 10 can take up a lot of space. 20-30GB+

This is from Microsoft's own website regarding system requirements:

"...Small storage devices, like devices with 32GB hard drives or older devices with full hard drives, may need additional storage to complete the upgrade."

This has 32GB which again is too small. I realise if you are dedicating it to Astro software then it does not need to be too big but it would nice for double the capacity, which of course will increase the cost into the Laptop range..

Yes I agree, although it does say that you can expand with a micro SD card up to another 64gb I think..

And my idea was to use it as a wireless way to control my desktop in my warm room, so all the software would be loaded onto that, so just as a wireless gateway really ...

AB

There's a portable device available that has a big enough drive, fastish processor, decent size screen without that annoying touch interface, at least two proper USB's, a keyboard, great for image aquisition and driving your scope and guider, maybe a bit stretched for image processing..... 

It's called a Laptop.

Michael

There's a portable device available that has a big enough drive, fastish processor, decent size screen without that annoying touch interface, at least two proper USB's, a keyboard, great for image aquisition and driving your scope and guider, maybe a bit stretched for image processing.....

It's called a Laptop.

Michael

Lol and inclined to agree [emoji846]

Yes I agree, although it does say that you can expand with a micro SD card up to another 64gb I think..

And my idea was to use it as a wireless way to control my desktop in my warm room, so all the software would be loaded onto that, so just as a wireless gateway really ...

AB

A SD Card upgrade of another 32GB sounds more promising. 

I think the appeal of a notebook is its portability, relatively cheap and primarily its meant to offer much better battery life. All of which are big benefits when imaging from a remote location.

With my current laptop gives me about 2.5 hours of time and that's with everything turned to low power, so not great.

The other alternative I have been looking at are Lithium batteries such as the Tracer ones which are very light and offer an extra power boost.

It's called a Laptop.

Michael

Is there really a need to be so sarcastic, I just wanted to point these out in case anybody was interested, obviously you are not, so what take part in the thread....??

I don't think there was any need for that was there....?

And if you actually read my posts you would see that I wanted purely as a wireless screen for my laptop or obsy PC, not to run all the software......

AB

I've got the Linx 1010 (10" screen, Win10) tablet, that one comes with two standard USB ports and could control a 'scope using Stellarium or Cartes du Ciel if you wanted to. It also has a free 7/8th size keyboard plus you can use a normal mouse with it. I've even used a USB Hub with 6 ports with no problems.

A bit pricier than the one in the original post, but IMO well worth the extra money.

I've got the Linx 1010 (10" screen, Win10) tablet, that one comes with two standard USB ports and could control a 'scope using Stellarium or Cartes du Ciel if you wanted to. It also has a free 7/8th size keyboard plus you can use a normal mouse with it. I've even used a USB Hub with 6 ports with no problems.

A bit pricier than the one in the original post, but IMO well worth the extra money.

Thanks for that, I will look into that one, it does sound better with the full size USB ports

:)

AB

Just had a look and it is a available from the same supplier for £139 with the keyboard so only £10 more, and at one supplier for £129 the same price, so,got to be a better deal even for the extra tenner....

AB

The Linx 1010 has 32Mb storage built in, with a slot for up to 64Mb microSD, but I have heard of someone putting in a 128Mb card in with no problems. 

Was going to add this to my previous post, but not if someone replied already ;)

Apologies AstroBoffin, it was too sarcastic.

Sorry, I only saw the bit where you asked if it was any good for astro work, and in my opinion tablets have many downsides.

The use as a link to your PC I missed - again apologies.

Michael

No problem, appreciate that :)

AB

Archived