NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR 1st light!!!

Hi everyone,

I tried the Canon 1000d and 55-200mm lens that I was given for xmas out last night. The cloud/weather conditions were awful, with a thick blanket of high cloud. :clouds1:  I could only see the brightest stars, but the images I took show up lots of stars, and even M31. I'm hoping for clear skies tonight, so that I can do a proper run on the Galaxy. Most of the shots that I took were focused (sorry, I had to put that in! :grin:  :grin:  :grin: ) around determining how long I could expose, on my max. zoom, and I found that I could take 1 min expos without any trailing whatsoever. Another problem, apart from the cloud, was the 40mph wind :eek: , which gave some of my shots 'double' stars. This shot shows Deneb, in Cygnus.

post-47504-0-94256500-1451299769_thumb.j

John :smiley:

Good start. Should be seeing some decent shots from you in no time.

I would recommend a lp filter to reduce the orange glow.

Thanks!

I think that the light poll was worse than usual because I was imaging through a thin layer of cloud. Would it be possible to get a filter that would fit a lens like mine?

Here's the same image, but with a bit of pollution correction in GIMP. There seems to be a bit of gradient, I'm not sure quite why though, as I thought that it only happened when using a 'scope with a camera? I'll try taking some Flats, and see if that sorts it out.

post-47504-0-85906800-1451302246_thumb.j

and then with a bit more processing:

post-47504-0-33887600-1451302555_thumb.j

I think that the noise levels are pretty shocking, but I was imaging at ISO800, as there were only small gaps in the cloud, so my expo times were limited. I think also some more subs, (this is just the 1 photo) would help. Anyway, If tonight's clear I think that I should be able to get some good results...!

John

What ever is required to take my 2" filter down to the size of the lens on the camera.

I have two rings for different lenses. One takes the 2" down to 48mm and the other down to 52mm I think from memory. I don't use the kit lens but I do have a new lens that I will use that is 58mm so I think it might be a step up ring this time.

Depending on lens size it is no bad thing using a step down ring as it gives an aperature mask with no defraction spikes.

These are what I needed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0013UOKH0/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0013UTYFI/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

Thanks!

I think that the light poll was worse than usual because I was imaging through a thin layer of cloud. Would it be possible to get a filter that would fit a lens like mine?

Here's the same image, but with a bit of pollution correction in GIMP. There seems to be a bit of gradient, I'm not sure quite why though, as I thought that it only happened when using a 'scope with a camera? I'll try taking some Flats, and see if that sorts it out.

and then with a bit more processing:

I think that the noise levels are pretty shocking, but I was imaging at ISO800, as there were only small gaps in the cloud, so my expo times were limited. I think also some more subs, (this is just the 1 photo) would help. Anyway, If tonight's clear I think that I should be able to get some good results...!

John

As you found out gradients affect most imaging gear.

Gradients originate from many sources, Moon, airglow and light pollution are obvious ones.

Always subtract LP and gradients.

The Astronomik clip filter system for Canon EOS cameras is an alternative.

http://www.astronomik.com/en/clip-filter-system.html.

It fits just inside the camera. You can use different lenses or a telescope with the same filter. To quote "Almost all Canon system lenses (with the exception of the EF-S series) and all M42 and T2 lens adapters, can be used with the Astronomik Clip-Filter System" . Anyway, I've started using one and like it though it seems to have increased my exposure time dramatically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived