NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A Couple of Shots From a Forum Newbie

Bonze

Good Evening all and hello from a forum newcomer. Was hoping to post a new image or two

as a first post but the weather has put paid to that, so thought I would introduce myself with a few 

images taken earlier this year.  Imaged with a Canon 1100D modified, ED80 Sky Watcher for Horsehead

and M31 Celestron SCT for the Whirlpool. Fingers crossed for good weather over the Xmas break.

Thanks for looking and Merry Christmas to you all.

post-48360-0-23809800-1450388101.jpg

post-48360-0-73384500-1450388124.jpg

post-48360-0-90086300-1450388142.jpg

The horse head was from my garden in Bristol around Jan of this year. M31 and the whirlpool were from Exmoor where I have a caravan.

The skys from Exmoor are at times spectacular. This year, sadly for me have been awful, it seems every time there has been  a clear sky the moon

has been glowing in all its glory. Fingers crossed for the new year that the skys will be better. Hope to have a crack at some wide field with just the dslr

this year. I have tried this with little success to date, so maybe looking for some tips.

The horse head was from my garden in Bristol around Jan of this year. M31 and the whirlpool were from Exmoor where I have a caravan.

The skys from Exmoor are at times spectacular. This year, sadly for me have been awful, it seems every time there has been  a clear sky the moon

has been glowing in all its glory. Fingers crossed for the new year that the skys will be better. Hope to have a crack at some wide field with just the dslr

this year. I have tried this with little success to date, so maybe looking for some tips.

I'm impressed that you managed to get an image like that from your garden in Bristol. I can imagine that Exmoor is great place when it is clear.

If I remember correctly for this image I experimented mounting my finder guider on the SCT and managed 1.5 min subs. The results beyond this duration were awful.

Never tried it since. I was thinking of getting an OAG for Xmas but my SSAG guide camera from what I have read is not up to it, really cant fork out for a upgraded guide

camera at the moment. I will get around to acquiring this kit one day.

I'm in the same position. I must say that's an amazing image using a finder guider and 90 sec subs. How many did you use? What SCT do you use? Which mount do you have?

I've found the same limitations. Like you I don't want to spend a lot of money for a new guide camera that would work with an OAG. Also the Celestron OAG doesn't easily work with a focal reducer on an 8 Edge HD, it requires all sorts of extra adapters besides the ones that come with it, and I haven't read of anyone who has made that arrangement work so so far. My next experiment will be guiding with a Star Travel 80.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi John. I used an 8inch Celestron Sct mounted on a Heq5 pro mount. I am reasonably sure the image was composed of 30 90 second subs and around 10 darks, light and dark flats. The site I imaged from (Exmoor) does have a big impact on the image quality, the sky's are sometimes just unbelievable.

Archived