Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Catalina, Mars, Jupiter and stripy pink pyjamas.

There's a definite appeal in seeing something that's on it's way back out into space never to return. I wonder where it will find itself in years to come.

10x50 binos:

Catalina didn't jump out to me in any way while just scanning around in roughly the right area of sky. I star hopped to it more carefully to be sure I was in the right place, and saw a fairly obvious round fuzzy non stellar object. No tail visible. Borderline averted/direct. For context, two pointer stars at mag 6.5 and 6.6 were visible direct (in the binos). The eastern sky is a little light polluted for me.

x48, 10 inch Dob:

I'm not sure I would have found the comet in the straight through finder if not for being able to compare and replicate what I'd just done in the binos. Disappointingly, there was still no tail, but the comet was visible in direct vision. Bigger (obviously), with a more defined bright core, fading outward.

x110, 10 inch Dob:

The same, only more so, before it quickly vanished in hazy/patchy cloud.

Wish I could have looked for longer, but hopefully there are more chances to come.

After that, I put the scope to use on Mars for the first time. No features visible, but the intensity of the colour of the disk was surprising and absolutely beautiful to see.

Didn't see anything on Jupiter I hadn't seen before, but it was great to see three moons become four, as Ganymede appeared from behind the planet while I watched.

Shared the view of Mars and Jupiter with my daughter who woke early. She seemed happy that sitting outside in winter in stripy pink pyjamas, watching storms swirl round another planet was a good way to start the day.

I must admit i ignored a lovely moon jupiter venus and mars to get a view of Catalina before the light and clouds came.  Spoiled for choice really -  glad your daughter enjoyed the stars.

andrew

Quite rightly I think. I wouldn't have been up at that hour if not for the comet, and I only moved on when it clouded over in the east. I'm still learning what sort of things you can expect to see in the sky, but I know the last (and only) comet I've seen before was nearly 20 years ago. On that basis, you don't get many chances!

Sounds like you had a very nice morning. I also was out very early, with this weather you have to grab every chance you can. I grabbed a few AVI'S of Jupiter and the moon while waiting Catalina to get to decent altitude. Much easier to spot Comet Catalina this week it may have brightened slightly or just be in a better position, but it was an easy spot in the 15x70's this morning.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the nice report, Paul. I'm glad your daughter was able to share your experience. Love the stripy pink pyjamas bit. My first attempt at Catalina (this morning) was less than successful despite clear skies. But I only had a chance to grab my 8X40s (I was getting ready for work). No hint of a smudge. I'm looking forward to its closest point to Earth on the 17th when, hopefully, it will be a bit brighter and I'll have to time to pull out my 7-inch Mak-Cass  :smiley:

Clear skies,

Reggie

Archived