Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ 5 lead

Well, now it works!  :hello2:  :hello2:

I would have liked to reported back with a definitive guide for fixing the issue but, unfortunately, I can't!

All I did was reinstall Windows from scratch (usually a good idea on a pre-installed machine) and throw as many of the manufacturer's drivers at it as I could find and download.

Eventually I got PHD2 to connect on a specified port, even though the EQMOD driver set-up utility could not find the mount.

It still works after 3 reboots so I'm not going to change a thing now ;)

Time to run a system backup and set a restore point, methinks.... :)

Good luck to everyone else having the same issue.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its most probably the last big windows update - it did all sorts of unspeakable things to items with the FTDI chip in it - like the Hitech lead.

Follow this - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/user/Hitecastro_EQMOD_Win8.pdf

And only use this driver. Dont install it until you have removed the old one, rebooted and turned off windows driver updates.

The driver is attached.

Then make a note of which com port is assigned to your mount in device manager and in future only use the same usb port or the number will change.

Good luck !

If you have to clear out your com ports follow this guide....

Open Control Panel

Open Device Manager

Plug in any USB to TTL or other device that uses com ports.

Under Ports (COM & LPT) You will see a USB Serial Port (COM{X}) appear.

Here X is the com number.

Double click on USB Serial Port (COM{X})

Another Box will appear USB Serial Port (COM{X}) Properties.

Click on Port Settings.

Click on Advanced

New box appears Advanced Settings for COM{X}

Click on the COM Port Number (COM{X})

You will now get a list of all the COM ports  some of which will report being (in use).

What this means is that Windows has used some of these in the past, but are not necessarily being used now. Windows has an awful way of reserving these. Now what ever the {X} value is set the COM port  at this value in turn for each of the USED COM ports in turn. You will get a message telling you that the COM port is being used. Ignore it and click on YES. DFo this for all the so called in use ports one after another.

This will clear all the "In Use"  COM Ports one after another until you are left with only the one . You can reset this to any number you want.

Lower the Better.

IF for any reason Windows shuts down OR becomes unstable you may have accidentally SET a COM Port that was actually being used. No Problem Just reboot and windows will sort the COM Ports

out.

PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v10518.zip

Its most probably the last big windows update - it did all sorts of unspeakable things to items with the FTDI chip in it - like the Hitech lead.

Follow this - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/user/Hitecastro_EQMOD_Win8.pdf

And only use this driver. Dont install it until you have removed the old one, rebooted and turned off windows driver updates.

The driver is attached.

Then make a note of which com port is assigned to your mount in device manager and in future only use the same usb port or the number will change.

Good luck !

If you have to clear out your com ports follow this guide....

Open Control Panel

Open Device Manager

Plug in any USB to TTL or other device that uses com ports.

Under Ports (COM & LPT) You will see a USB Serial Port (COM{X}) appear.

Here X is the com number.

Double click on USB Serial Port (COM{X})

Another Box will appear USB Serial Port (COM{X}) Properties.

Click on Port Settings.

Click on Advanced

New box appears Advanced Settings for COM{X}

Click on the COM Port Number (COM{X})

You will now get a list of all the COM ports  some of which will report being (in use).

What this means is that Windows has used some of these in the past, but are not necessarily being used now. Windows has an awful way of reserving these. Now what ever the {X} value is set the COM port  at this value in turn for each of the USED COM ports in turn. You will get a message telling you that the COM port is being used. Ignore it and click on YES. DFo this for all the so called in use ports one after another.

This will clear all the "In Use"  COM Ports one after another until you are left with only the one . You can reset this to any number you want.

Lower the Better.

IF for any reason Windows shuts down OR becomes unstable you may have accidentally SET a COM Port that was actually being used. No Problem Just reboot and windows will sort the COM Ports

out.

attachicon.gifPL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v10518.zip

All of my COM ports were unused as it was a fresh install of Windows but thanks anyway :)

there was a windows update as it happens, I will stick with what im doing for the moment as its managable and not overcomplicated then I will come back to this and try again (prob over the hols when i got more time)

I disable any kind of automatic update on any computer that I use to control a critical system i.e. telescopes. This reduces the chance for unexpected errors which invariably occour when the sky is clear.  :mad:  :mad:

Archived