NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

winter and how to deal with the cold

Right then!!!!!!!!!. Thats me sorted for the winter. I bought a McKinley weatherproof jacket today and some weatherproof trousers to go over my jeans. The jacket is great. Velcro straps around the wrists which can be adjusted. The front zips up to cover half the face. It buttons up also and then has velcro tabs as well. It has a nice hood on it also which fastens really well and wont keep blowing off. Nice deep pockets too. 

Sods law: it rained all morning and when i bought the weatherproof clothing..............the sun came out.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a rambler I do tend spend money on good quality gear that keeps me warm and dry but standing still is a different kettle of fish. I think the hands and feet are my problem areas the question is too insulate against the ground by putting down a tarp down and go for the modern equivalent of Moon boots I do seem to remember there was something called Hot feet insulated wellie boots that sea anglers used ???

Once your feet get too cold they rarely warm up again during the session, no matter what you do. That more than anything else would signal the end of the session. The answer was Exo heated boot liners: http://www.exo2.co.uk/exo%C3%82%C2%B2-heatsole-p-13.htmlwhich really work and put the heat back into your feet. You can get heated gloves too (and vests) but it's the foot protection which I found most valuable.

ChrisH

It was absolutely chucking it down here this morning (horizontal rain at times with the wind), so i took my new weatherproof clothing for a test drive. I'm happy to report that the only part of me that got wet were my glasses. I only had a t-shirt on under the jacket and i was nice and snug. 

Worst thing for me is my feet go cold - the rest is easy to sort with layering (well, gloves can be a bit tricky).

I sorted my feet out with these, quite expensive but one of the single best astro buys I;ve ever made! It made a huge difference to my ability to stay out for extended periods in sub-zero termepratures last winter :)

http://www.keenfootwear.com/en-nl/product/shoes/men/alaska-boot

I only own 1 pair of shoes and they are leather. Thankfully being in a wheelchair i can neither feel my feet and they hardly ever make contact with the ground. My only problem is the ability to move about and do jumping jacks to keep my legs warm. I can move my legs but maybe not enough to get the blood flowing.

I considered buying a fleece lined wheelchair cover which is essentially a sleeping bag which retro-fits onto/into the wheelchair and zips up at the side up to chest level...............but decided against it for 2 reasons:

1/ If i was ever to fall out of the wheelchair while zooming about (mainly downhill) it would be uuber dangerous

2/ I'd look like a bit of a plum.

post-5361-0-72616900-1448643622.jpg

First off, a set of thermal underwear makes a huge difference.

I use thin gloves (silk motorcycle inner gloves work a treat, with fingerless thinsulate gloves with built-in fold down over mitts. A pair to stout walking boots with thick sock completes the ensemble- toasty.

The fleece lining looks kinda funky though Paul - sort of arctic explorer slege-like! You just need to train Chiara and soem friends to works as a team, that'd sort the moving about bit out! Mush!

No. Sorry, i just dont think its a good look. Not to mention that by the time i got myself into it.............the sky would most likely have clouded over. Much easier to slip on a pair of over trousers.

Long Johns are on my Christmas list.

For my feet. Fourth element socks ,slightly thicker socks on top and Kamik  Boots.  Thermal Base layer,  Fourth Element leggings and top , woolly jumper/cardigan and windproof top coat. Hat and gloves  are both Thinsulate. Cannot say i worry about handling things as in the UK very rarely does it ever get so cold as to not allow bare hands handling for any fiddly stuff , gloves on the whole can be replaced pretty quickly. yet to figure out something for my nose that does not make me look a complete Lemon haha.

Of course not forgetting refreshments :-) . coffee hot chocolate (biccies too). A good flask i use a Stanley as it stays very very hot for many many many hours, unlike to many cheap ones you just cannot beat quality . That"s my cold weather get up :-) . 

For the coldest conditions I'd recomend skiiing salopettes or similar chest high insulated trousers. Study what other people wear in the cold and copy them (eg anglers, mountaineers, offshore sailors, cold store workers etc)

Something like this cold store workers salopettes

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FlexiTog-X240-Freezer-Salopettes-size-XLarge-/172011149631?hash=item280ca9d93f:g:N0kAAOSwI-BWILcs

The place cold seems to get me is on the neck - so a fleece neck snood is a must for me these days

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fleece-Neck-Warmer-Motorbike-Tube-Scarf-Scarves-Balaclava-Snood-Gaiter-Winter-/251410963162?var=&hash=item3a8942dada:m:mES7pLJ15l99o64gEAxfhrw

After failing to be warm one cold winter, despite wearing a jacket, over a fleece, over a warm shirt, over a T-shirt, I spoke to some friends who are more into outdoor activities. Best to take such advice when it comes from someone who is experienced in the use of an ice axe ;) Their suggestion was to get a Helly Hansen base layer (top) and Extremities gloves, "Sticky Windy" I think is the model I have. So I went to the local Cotswold Outdoor store to check out and purchase said kit.

The base layer really does help a lot, way more than you would expect from something so thin. The gloves are a good compromise between being warm, and still being able to do stuff. The palm and inside of the fingers is thinner and has a fabric with good gripping properties. Certainly fine for focusing, changing eyepieces, assembling telescopes, that sort of thing. Kept me much warmer.

Now that makes more sense. I wonder how long you get from each use.

For me, old school technology works just fine, and the cost is negligible. I tuck a hot water bottle inside the big front pocket of a hooded sweatshirt underneath my outer clothing and stay toasty warm. While out camping and sitting outside, I find that if you put a hot water bottle just behind your knees it will warm you up fast; works for me.

Archived