Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Exmoor's status as the first international Dark Sky Reserve

timwetherell

For anyone in the Exmoor region, the park authority are holding an open meeting (at the pub in Wheddon Cross at 7.30pm on Tuesday, November 17)  to discuss running events to promote Exmoor's status as the first international Dark Sky Reserve

http://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/west_somerset_news/14021751.The_sky_s_the_limit_for_Exmoor/

Will be interesting to see wht they decide or come up with.

To make use of the dark sky they really need to attract people with scopes, which would seem  to imply providing some "facilities" for the people. As a sort of minimum I would have said a car park with a seperate flat area to set up in - seperate so that arriving cars do not cause an upset.

I would also guess they would need to provide 3 or 4 such locations as a visitor to the North side is unlikely to drive to the South side - Exmoor is not exactly criss crossed by good fast roads to make it an easy trip.

I guess no one will pay up for a small observatory at some location?

Then have the flat area for people surrounding this observatory, or a little to one side.

The location would need to be where there already exists a few buildings like a visitor centre or similar.

Thoughts are really that having a Dark Sky Site and telling people of it is one thing, actually making use of it is another.

As it happens I was playing skittles last night :)  Sadly the evening was marred by someone being given a lifetime ban for not doping.

Unfortunately as I skived off taking my son to his swim training so that I could play that means I can't really get away with it again next week.  I'd be interested in a summary of events though if someone would be good enough to post one.

James

.As a big fan of Exmoor, please bring feedback on the meeting - and contact details for sending thoughts to the protagonists

This is the most recent report on what they have been doing:

http://www.exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/638500/IDSA-Dark-Sky-Places-Annual-Report-October-2014-2015.pdf

Practical suggestions from a regeneration perspective:

Potential to attract new visitors

Astronomy is a year round activity but most popular in the off-season

It should not conflict with other activities.

I the day astronomers are just like ordinary visitors and will often bring their families.

Dark sky status brings opportunities to engage new people in the hobby, but this means an investment in providing activities and resources - but these will attract more visitors.

Use the spectacular imagery to show off what you can offer but don't misrepresent what visitors with ordinary binos or scopes can see.

A planetarium need not be a huge investment and could be combined with another attraction to keep costs sensible.

There is limited potential to support the establishment of local businesses or expanding existing ones, but it could help make businesses with broad nature/outdoors angle more viable

Some people want organised activities, but many will just want dark, accessible safe places to pursue their hobby. They will pay to get these things (especially with camping & loos).

Possibility of accommodation and astronomy packages.

• 6 months later...

How dark is the sky in there? I tried finding sqm readings, but I couldn't get much..

Is it relatively easy to get in there from, say, London? I'm used to drive 2/3 hours here in Italy to reach dark places, I hope we're around the same amount of time :)

I live a mile or so from the south-eastern edge of Exmoor.  I don't have SQM readings, but it's certainly very dark (when it actually gets dark -- at this time of year it doesn't, really).  My estimates for the naked eye limiting magnitude on good nights are usually around 5.7 and whilst my eyes are not as old as those of some SGL members, they're certainly not young either :)  There can be some light pollution from the major towns, but it's not really a problem when the seeing is good in my experience because they're not that big and there are very few of them.

In terms of getting to Exmoor from London I'd guess it's probably around three and a half hours once you get on the M4 depending on the traffic.  Almost all of the trip can be on motorways, but once you get off the motorways its very much slower.

My feeling is that if the forecast is good then it may be much easier to stay in the area overnight or for a couple of days (if things go to plan then perhaps next year we might even be able to offer this option ourselves).  My wife's brother and his family do sometimes drive down here from Reading and go back the same day, but I think adding the extra distance to get to London probably pushes things a bit too far.

James

That's very interesting :)

I think 3 hours and half is still affordable, what I usually do here in Italy is drive to Alps or Appennines, spend the entire night observing, then get a little rest somewhere and go back to Milan, and I would probably do the same in there! :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/06/2016 at 20:54, GuLinux said:

How dark is the sky in there? I tried finding sqm readings, but I couldn't get much..

Read their annual report. SQM readings are on page 11:  21.5 MPSAS is pretty lush...

http://darksky.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Exmoor_2015_annual_report.pdf

http://www.ida.darksky.org/assets/Night_Sky_Conservation/Reserves/Exmoor/Exmoor_2014_Annual_Report.pdf

Internet is slow here, so I can't tell you the SQM readings in the original application because the PDF is taking too long to download, but more reading material here:

http://ida.darksky.org/assets/Night_Sky_Conservation/Exmoor_IDSR_application.pdf

Archived