Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thanks Moonshane

Cjg

So Hermes deliver the worlds best wrapped parcel this morning and after unpacking, this heavyweight beastie is revealed (in pristine condition, too, thank you).

Inside the box is a circular "pupil guide", of course there's no chance of testing this out as the forecast is for clouds and rain for the rest of the week and into next!

The weight will mean that I am going to have to re-jig the scope's position on the mount, but I cannot wait to see how well this performs with my Tak 76.

post-13811-0-00759500-1446033850_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got to use this eyepiece yesterday since I received it. Think last night at Seething, had my best view ever of M42/M43. The grey of the nebulosity against the black, 4 tiny pinprick stars of the trapizeum; beautiful.

It's a superb eyepiece. Looked at M78 too, was quite windy, so took a while for the vibrations to settle down. Balance on the mount has to be jiggled as is heavier than my other glass. Is a "keeper" for sure.

Thanks Alan,

As I understand it, the newer version is a one and a quarter fitting only, this version fits a 2" diagonal too, suspect that accounts for the weight difference. All the storms here now, but had 2 hours with it on Friday, so enough of a taster.

Thanks,

Chris

Looking at that I really wonder what was discovered to make the T6 so much smaller. ...

Al Nagler reviewed the Type 1 design, found that it could be reduced in size and weight and applied improved coatings and thus were born the Type 6's.

There were 2 runs of the Type 1 Naglers, the earlier Japanese ones and the later Taiwanese made ones. I think Cjg's is the latter type. The design remained largely the same for the 9mm except that the eye relief in the Taiwanese made ones is better.

My 1st Naglers were the Type 1 4.8mm and 7mm (one Japanese and the other Taiwanese) They got me hooked ..... :grin:

Interesting as always John. I guess these are no push over and perform very well as you don't see them wholesale dumped on the secondhand market at rock bottom prices, I wish i had been back in the hobby when they came out as I am sure they were ground breaking back then. I have read that the ER on the 4.7mm was very tight where the later 5mm which i had for a while was very good. I know it is going back to the days before Naglers but went i was starting back in 1973/4 you dreamed of owning an orthoscopic.

Alan

This one has "Taiwan ROC" on the barrel. Think Moonshane mentioned that it was a later Mark1.  

Am very grateful to have been able buy it on here at such a reasonable price, in great (pristine) conditionpost-13811-0-72876600-1447598437_thumb.j; sure beats the Bay!

Here it is with my Panoptic 24 for size comparison.

Archived