Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best time to buy a telescope

Hi guys, I chose the wrong thread to post this question which was in my other post so please ignore and I apologise

Quick question guys, when is the best time to buy a telescope? Is there a particular time of the year like Christmas? Winters when there is less potential observation? After or before the Astrofest? Quite honestly I can't wait but if I have to then I will. Also how much margin do you think the guys in the shop have if I was to be a bit of cheapskate and ask for a discount?

Basically I've divided my purchase in to Phases. So Phase1 will be bought as a whole lot.

Phase 1:

Adv. VX 8” Edge HD

Celestron CG-5 / AVX / CGEM Polar finderscope (C94224)

Celestron Lens Shade for C6 and C8 (C94009)

Camera adapter for 8” Edge HD (93644)

Nikon T-ring (C93402)

Baader mains adapter 5A/12v/60w (B2457640)

Tracer 12v 10Ah lithium polymer batter (tbp2545)

Bhatinov mask

Tele Vue Powermate 2.5x (PMT-2513)

Phase 2 (In a few months time):

Autoguider, Focal Reducer

Phase 3:

Any other bits that I would need.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well bit of both to be quite honest. I know the optics for EdgeHD are quite solid but to get a proper wide FOV I'll be needing a refector. I'll be making most out of this equipment and get my little one in to this hobby too (easier to convince my missus that way to splash out money on the hobby)

Buy like I said, my main question is regarding what's the best time to buy the scope and it's gear? Might I add, i'm talking specifically about UK :)

this question is like how long is a piece of string? :)

If you are asking when can you get the best deal financially, then would it be better to look around the various sites catering for the second hand market and just put everything together over time?  That would probably work out cheaper.  You've shown that you know what you want, so that should be easy.

Not knowing the U.K. market place I can't comment further, but maybe you could check out the sites of U.K. dealers to see which have the package that you want or maybe who would be willing to put it together.  The other factor to consider is the service / advice / assistance that you receive after the sale.  

As a first stop I would check the FLO site.

Helpful, I hope. :)

michael

You can buy almost anytime as there is no real "season".  There is a quieter time for Astronomy in the summer due to the lighter evenings but apart from that it is pretty much an all year round hobby (weather permitting!!).  As for discounts - I think you will find the market very competative and that most retailers have cut their margins as far as they can (and still stay in business).  More importantly you should look for someone with good after sales service and avoid "box shifters" like some big name stores that sell Astro gear.

Well that's what I thought but I wanted to be sure of this. Mind you, I've only quite recently dived in to this hobby with a life long obsession over the night skies.

I am currently in contact with Widescreen Center guys because they're based in London but doesn't hurt to see what FLO can do too. Might give them a call tomorrow to see.

I've been keeping an eye on astrobuyandsell website too, maybe I'm just not lucky enough to find what I want.

Saying all that, surely these vendors do something around Xmas don't they?

Ken, I hear you matey but the only reason why I'm settling for the AVX is because it's portable than the CGEM. I know the tripod is the same but the head is going to cause problems while transporting to a dark site. I don't drive so had to cater in that factor too. Most of my viewing will be done from my light polluted back garden but then on occasions I'll be joining up with one or two astro geeks over Flamsteed and Baker Street lot.

Astro bug is predominantly for the DSOs and a bit of planetary too, mostly to show off and remind myself of the beauty that lies above our head :)

Around about the time of the large astro shows in the UK some dealers offer a modest discount to match the prices they are offering at the show. These generally last a weekend at most.

There is not the size of market in the UK or the margins in the business for retailers to offer January sales and that sort of thing.

From your kit list, might I suggest that you delay the Baader mains adapter 5A/12v/60w (B2457640) until phase 2 or 3.   You have power in the tracer and it'll be more convenient to use a battery rather than mains.

Also as an astrophotographer, I've found that consistency in the setup is very helpful.  So, making sure that the battery is charged before a session, then I know how the setup is going to perform, it will be most consistent than switching between mains and battery.

Also, another thought, rather than using a 10Ah battery, upgrade to something bigger.  In practical use, you are more likely to only get access to about 50% the rather AH of the battery, so a 10 should give you about 5 ish.    I personally, run more kit - Meade LX-90, 2 * Dew heaters, Autoguider, DSLR and SkyFi from my battery.  Not to mention EL Panel for taking flats at the end of the session.   For my kit, I've taken to using a 70Ah leisure battery, it's huge and heavy but it'll power everything for an entire evenings session (about 35Ah available to me) with everything running, I think that I'd get a couple of nights usage from a single charge.

As getting a discount, as people have already said, you'd most likely find that the best place is at an astro show of some kind.  I recently bought a scope coat from Green-which, got a small discount as I purchased it whilst at an event.

Cheers John and CJDawson. The thing is that the astrofest is not until Feb and for the love of God I can not wait to get started lol. Xmas is around the corner so was hoping that some might start putting out discounts and beat the market.

CJ the reason for the mains is because like I said I'll be doing most of my observations in my back garden where I will have easy access to the main. This then saves me from using the battery and only use it when I go out and about. But you're right, I might up my budget and buy the 12A or a 14A. That remains to be seen. These days I'm thinking of a step ahead, already looking for a case to hold my scope and the mount. Hehehe

I don't know what FLO guys have been doing in the past around Xmas time period, have they put out a Xmas sale thingy? Because right now if I'm able to save £100-£200, that should fund nicely towards my other gear

...I don't know what FLO guys have been doing in the past around Xmas time period, have they put out a Xmas sale thingy? Because right now if I'm able to save £100-£200, that should fund nicely towards my other gear

I know the folks who run FLO. Their quiet period, if there is such a thing, is the Summer as has been said.

I'd not hold your breath waiting for an Xmas sale from UK Astro dealers. 

That said, it's good to contact them direct and see what the current pricing and availability is on the items you are interested in. Also they are are knowlegable astronomers themselves so might be able to help you achieve your objectives in an alternative way at less expense ?

I asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago actually :)

And I now have most of my equip ready - most of them second-handed actually. 

If you can't wait until Feb, keep an eye on Astrobuysell. If you know what you are looking for then grab it when it appears!

As for battery, tracer is Li polymer battery so you should be able to get almost all of the capacity, unless lead acid batteries which you could only get about half. So I'd say if you know what you'll be doing then it'll be OK. Having said that, a 14Ah will only cost about 30 quid more if you could afford it. So it's up to you really. 

That's the problem for me I'm unclear on exactly what to go for, will have to keep on researching about the mounts and scopes for now before taking the plunge...

Well if portability if important, and astrophotography is something you'd like to try, you can get a small refractor/ED/APO with a reasonable mount. 

I understand the pain about carrying a mount head. But a mount is the most important part of AP setup so it deserves a little bit extra efforts. My limit is my HEQ5 pro mount head and I can manage perhaps 100 meters with it.....So knowing your limit is important  :grin:

Best time to buy a telescope? ...

Rationally, it is quite easy to answer! In no specific order, I would say: 

- when your partner (if any) is sleeping (=> so that you can sleep better because no argument happened!! );

- when you can afford one and a few accessories (=> job, money);

- after you are aware that you might fall in the Dark Side of the Astronomical Equipment Accumulation... ehm...Collection :D ;

- when you know you can spend a regular amount of your time with it (=> family, work, time, ... life!);

- after you have read about telescopes (and/or asked advices in SGL :) ); 

- after you have a clearer idea of what you want to do with it (=>  imaging/observing, wide/compact field, planetary/dso, etc);

- after you have considered your local weather / light pollution conditions (=> type of telescope, imaging/observing);

- when you have a place to store it;

- when you have a place to observe (=>  a nearby field, your backyard..);

- after you have visited an astro club and viewed through members' telescopes;

- after you have realised the size/weight of the telescope you intend to buy;

- after you know the cooling and setup times required for your telescope;

- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: after you have balanced your expectations sufficiently for not being disappointed but instead being amazed every time you go out with your new big eye!  

Said this, the real approach is "buy when you feel/want and justify this purchase as something you need"! :D 

Good Luck! 

Thanks for the tip miafey,

It's a toss up between the hew5 and the neq6 pro both goto mounts I didn't know if it was worth the extra money and going for the neq6 for future proof as well as more load it can take,

It is astrophotography I'm wanting to start so the mount is a must as you say but regards to the scope I'm unsure what type to go for I've been told to look at the sky watcher 150pds a reflector but then I've seen some say go for such as the ed80 refractor I'm confused lol

John, cheers mate. I'd be sure to give FLO folks a call tomorrow and get their take on it as well.

Piero, mate every single thing you mentioned in your reply to my post, you can tick them off :) Now is the time to take the plunge but don't want to be left disappointed if the very next week I find there is a sale on the same scope lol...

Maifey, quite right, might spend an extra £30 to get more but then I'll have to see if I'd really need my scope to function for that long or I might just future proof myself. Been keeping a keen eye on astrobuyandsell but what I want just isn't being sold much. Like i said, am sticking my guns with the AVX mount because that's (a) affordable and (B) transportable which is the key thing.

Interstellar88, I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking and asking the question. One thing someone told me a while back was that the best scope is the one that you're more likely to use much. True we want to splash out as much as our pockets can allow us but doesn't mean you won't be satisfied with a small refractor. ED80 is no doubt a very good gear and HEQ5 pro will be just fine for that. AVX and HEQ5 are practically both equal as mounts with SW HEQ5 supporting the EQMOD which some like but for me it isn't a show stopper. I could've gone for the NEQ6 but then it's just as same as CGEM which is what you really need for a good astrophotography mount. NEQ6 being cheaper nonetheless and a no brainer to buy. The only reason why I'm going for the EdgeHD is for its optics for astrophotography. Visually it's good and for astrophotography the planets it's better than DSOS. Not that it can't do it, but like everyone has said, you need a refractor for that wide FOV. No one scope does everything but 8" SCTs are a good all-rounders. Trust me when I say this, that's all what I've been reading up on for the last 3-4 weeks lol

Well in addition to the extra money, you may wish to consider whether you can handle the extra weight of NEQ6...... the mount head is 16kg and the tripod is 7.5. These are serious weight.... try walking with something 16kg and see how far you can manage  :grin:

150PDS is a good starting point, ED80 would be a step forward. If you had the budget for Edge HD than with that budget you can have both.....

hahahaha am not looking for the NEQ6 or a CGEM at all. I might be passionate but I am getting old mateso got to keep that in mind :) and don't you dare make me change my mind on the scope now, I've gone through some sleepless nights to pin it down to the EdgeHD :p

Archived