Venus, Jupiter, Mars conjunction, 25th October 2015

A much nicer picture than I was able to get - very hazy, I could barely see Orion's brightest stars. Heavy rain yesterday made fog and dripping dew inevitable.

The haze here wiped out virtually everything - including Jupiter's moons. This is a stack of about five images, as you can see any stars are just faint single pixels, but at least Mars went red when I turned up the saturation ;-0

post-43529-0-22251000-1445767596_thumb.j

My, rather uninspiring, shot does show the potential of stacking - it's about six frames, 1 second at IS) 1600 stacked manually (DSS either said not enough stars or tried to stack the noise) from a bridge camera, so no darks etc. (but it does automatic dark frame subtraction at longer exposures).

Despite the thick haze there are a good 10 or more stars (just) visible and checking Goodricke's image they all seem to be 'real' ones.

On a good night I will try taking many, many exposures of a starfield or M31 with the bridge camera and see what happens.

Archived