Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Public Lectures

Stub Mandrel

My daughter enjoyed the solar eclipse. This morning she says of astronomy 'I'm not really interested in the photography, but I want to know more about the physics'(!!!!)

She asked about public lectures on astronomy (ideally featuring Brian Cox :laugh: ). She'd prefer a 'formal' event rather than go along to a club meet - Midlands area - any suggestions?

How old is she? Several universities have public lecture series; in nottingham both of our universities offer this. The ones at nottingham trent are called "open dome" events and are purely astronomy based, the ones at the nottingham university are all hosted by the school of physics and astronomy but the subjects vary from materials science, marine biology, astrophysics, sports sciences so you need to pick the ones to go to. Both easily found on google.

Bir ingham university used to run a summer school for physics, but for 16-17 years olds i think, again google will help.

Leicester have public lectures too, but you'll have to dig around.

Have you looked at the events in the s@n magazine and astronomy now?

The institute of physics is open to youngsters and includes forums and they sponsor meetings around the uk, worth checking them out.

Have you checked the events at the leicester space centre?

Nottingham astronomical society meeting monthly and have a "lecture" which is usually theory based rather than a "what's in the sky this month" talk. Other local societies do something sinilar.

So depends on age, distance to travel, and what is really wanted.

James

Thanks Michael,

BC may be a great communicator but he couldn't have hidden his website better :-)

Thanks James,

She's at 6th form college in Nottingham, I'd already suggested sneaking into lectures at the University (would have been easy back in my day!) but she was horrified.

I'll follow up your suggestions.

Mike Merrifeld is professor of astronomy at notts uni, and quite active on twitter. Follow him and maybe ask for suggestions. Equally, dr dan brown at trent uni is very approachable and lecturer in astronomy and runs the outreach programme and would be receptive to an email and i'm sure would know about events for 6th formers.

If she is in nottingham, she should get invomved with nottingham astronomical society; i run the facebook oage for them. I know some physics/astronomy undergraduates i can put her in touch with if need be for ucas advice.

James

Stub the other thing is to encourage her to talk directly with a head of department or section...in my experience most academics are happy to provide direction or guidance.

That has certainly been my experience with several university professors both when I was a student and as a staff member over the years.

michael

This morning she says of astronomy 'I'm not really interested in the photography, but I want to know more about the physics'(!!!!)

Hah - I'm completely the opposite! Has she thought about these free online course sites - I know one had a video series on astronomy which was quite indepth. Can't remember which of the sites though.   

Stub, I know it's not local but the Royal Observatory at Greenwich may be worth a visit; they do a series of Christmas lectures.  I've long wanted to take my 6 formers down but it's just to long a journey so the cost starts going up.  You could combine it with a Christmas visit to London - just avoid the shops!

http://www.rmg.co.uk/visit/events/rog-christmas-lecture

Jim

• 2 months later...

I can heartily recommend the Astronomy Cast vids on Metube - Fraser Cain and Pamela Gay do a weekly talk about something astro-related and then answer questions afterwards. Each talk takes about 30 minutes and another 30(ish) minutes of questions.

Archived