Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hardware and software advice needed for upgrading to guided imaging

I've got my Orion guide scope, but I'm still waiting for my guide camera. I can't say I'm impressed with Altair Astro, I placed the order on 24th October and it is still showing as "queued" in the order status..if only FLO had sold the guide scope and guide cam.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the system requirements for the camera, I wonder if my Lenovo Thinkpad x200s will be powerful enough to use with the camera:

Windows PC Hardware Requirements:

Minimum CPU: Equal to Intel Core2 2.8GHz or Higher

Minimum Memory: 2GB or More

It works fine with all of the software.

I think for guiding it will be fine although Altair on their Google Groups recommended 4 and better still 8Gb memory.... Not entirely sure why though and doubt such a requirement for guiding would be necessary.  I'd call Tring astro for advice - they are a really great shop and very helpful staff.

I guess it would depend on the version of Windows in use and what other software is running at the same time. If you are running XP 2gb is fine for most things, if you run Vista it will still likely grind to a halt even if you have 8gb.

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thinks it's actually Windows 7, so maybe that might be a problem? I thought it was 2GB, but now I think that maybe an extra 2GB was installed making it 4GB.

Hi

If you have 4Gb then Windows grabs 2Gb leaving 2Gb for your applications. For a 32bit system 4Gb is the max memory anyway. You shouldn't have a problem.

Louise

OK good.

I rang Altair it it sounds like it was despatched so the issue may be with the courier. I just hope it can arrive soon because I've got the second half of next week free which I was hoping to spend doing indoor daytime dry runs.

Regarding the programs, assuming I use:

Stellarium (with StellariumScope) to slew to alignment stars and targets

APT to control the camera

EQASCOM to polar align

PHD2 for guiding

Are there any programs which I could close to extend battery life, as laptop battery life will be my biggest concern? For example once I've slewed to and centrered my target could I close Stellarium and StellariumScope? Could I close EQASCOM once I was polar aligned?

Closing applications won't make any difference to your battery life.   The biggest drain on the battery will be the display, the CPU and the hard disk.  Ensure your power saving setting are set to turn off the display and hard disk after a short amount of time of non-use and if possible ensure the CPU is set to step down to a lower Mhz when non-utilised.

OK good.

I rang Altair it it sounds like it was despatched so the issue may be with the courier. I just hope it can arrive soon because I've got the second half of next week free which I was hoping to spend doing indoor daytime dry runs.

I ordered something from them yesterday and it was delivered today :). I even got a text message advising me of the hour of delivery (why doesn't everyone do that??). What does your online order say?

Louise

It just says "queued". When I rang them they said it had been despatched, so they are going to look into it and ring me. Would be good if there was a tracking number I could use.

Hi

If you included your mobile number with your order you should have received a text the day of despatch with a delivery date, and including a link to the courier. Then you'd be able to track it...

Louise

Louise, When I bought mine back in early September mine came with a cracked window bought from Tring astro - they sent out a replacement the same day.  Hope you get the same service from AA.

Hope you get yours soon, Ian!  AA should have followed this up with the courier by now or sent another one...

Louise, When I bought mine back in early September mine came with a cracked window bought from Tring astro - they sent out a replacement the same day.  Hope you get the same service from AA.

Hope you get yours soon, Ian!  AA should have followed this up with the courier by now or sent another one...

Hi

Mine was from Tring too - sounds like a common problem? It wasn't obvious. I took it out of the box to see how I might fit a filter to it and noticed the crack across the middle as I looked and it caught the light. They are sending a replacement and said they would check it first. Fingers crossed!

Louise

Yeah, it's a bit strange...  Mine was the same right across the middle - perhaps it was the same one ;)  Would have thought it would be difficult to break the screen as they are pretty well protected.

I suppose it could have been the same one! I should have checked it the day it was delivered several weeks ago... Perhaps I should have photographed it but have packed it up ready to return now.

Louise

Archived