NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hardware and software advice needed for upgrading to guided imaging

I've attached my Orion scope to my 130PDS via the PDS dovetail, so it would seem that the adaptor that comes with the Orion guide scope won't be required. However, the guide scope does not seem to be as securely attached to the PDS as I would like, even when the dovetail screw is tightened as much as possible.

I believe that this may have also been the case with the finderscope, but I wasn't quite so concerned then because the finderscope is lighter and not as essential, but obviously the guidescope needs to be extremely secure.

It's not that the finderscope or the guidescope wobble in the dovetail, but if I make an effort to slide the guidescope out of the dovetail then it comes out, and the dovetail opens at the back end as well, which would not be great once the scope is pointing upwards. I'm fairly confident that it wouldn't fall out by itself, but I wonder if there is something that I can put behind the dovetail to make sure that it doesn't slide out?

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those little screws don't take much to snap off, if the base moves about in the dovetail look at something to fill the gap on the side of the dovetail away from the screw, a plastic milk bottle cut to the right size doubled up if required, the screw may then hold the base firm if its a push fit to start with......

I've got all my equipment connected up and I'm trying to connect everything using the various programs, but I'm having issues.

I've connected the laptop to the guide camera via USB, and the laptop to the mount via EQDIR, and I've powered everything up.

In PHD2 I'm not sure what camera to select. There's ASCOM Camera Chooser, but when I click Connect for that the only options are simulators only. And the rest of the camera options don't seem correct for my Altair GPCAM.

In PHD2 I'm also unsure as to how to connect to the mount. I select EQMOD ASCOM HEQ5/6, and click Connect, and it opens up the EQMOD window but says Connect Error: Port Not Available.

Similarly, when I run StellariumScope, select the same mount and click Connect, the window flashes up and then disappears.

The mount is definitely on because the battery is connected to the mount and the mount is switched on.

Also I can't yet connect to my DSLR as the USB cable is too short, so I'll have to buy a much longer one, and then I can test APT.

Have you installed the Ascom drivers for your camera? The drivers don't all get installed automatically.

The software needs to be told the correct com port to connect to the mount on, make sure you have the right one.

If you want to use Stellarium and PHD to connect to the mount at the same time you will need to use a hub like POTH to connect to the mount, the programs then connect to POTH. POTH should have been installed with Ascom.

I never got on with Stellarium, I found CDC has much simpler controls but then that is just a matter of taste.

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about what camera to select but with regards the mount, if you are using stellarium scope, EQASCOM is basically still running in the background, with Stellarium scope issuing commands to the mount via EQMOD. As Dan mentions check the serial port the cable has been issued by going in to system properties / device manager and scroll down to look at the serial port number - this now needs to be set in eqmod. Search "toolbox" and open eqascom toolbox, click driver setup and you will see a drop down box to select the port number. 

If when you looked up the serial port i.d. in device manger there was a little yellow exclamation mark next to it you may need to do a little jiggery pokery which I think is only applicable to Windows 8 - I had to do this. There is an instruction on what to do on FLO's website and some interersting information regards eqmod, ascom etc which is well worth reading.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/hitecastro/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

Steve

OK thanks. I'll update PHD2. I made a point of installing the guide camera drivers before connecting, so that should be OK. Will look up the port number too.

I'm just a bit confused about what program should be running the mount, when it seems like PHD2 and StellariumScope and EQASCOM can all do it. I would think that PHD2 would be best just for controlling the guide cam, APT for imaging cam, and StellariumScope for mount.

Stellarium scope cant run the mount on its own. PHD2 cant fully control the the mount on its own, they both need "the brain" which is eqascom. Eqmod can of course control the mount on its own but its much more intuitive via a program like stellarium. All Phd is doing when guiding is sending tracking correction commands to your mount by "speaking" to ascom, ascom then speaks to the mount via your hitecasro cable.

I suppose the first step will be to update all of the program to the latest (stable) versions, particularly PHD2? In which case, would I be able to just install the new versions in the existing folders?

It looks like I might need to update my video card drivers too, although the video is on board anyway.

Archived