Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Deeper into M31, from Les Granges

Horwig

Firstly, I apologise, I'm in danger of getting boring with this, but with cloud, rain and a moon every night, what else can I do?

I've gone back to the original mosaic done on the 18th of Sept from home. It was done at Native f5, so 1.2"/Pixel. Panels were 10 x 2 minute subs, so not a whole lot of exposure.

From the Luminance data, here is a 200% crop of the Hubble Cepheid again,

post-6754-0-31391100-1446241602_thumb.jp

And this is the Gandler image dropped to mono

post-6754-0-45165000-1446241657_thumb.jp

Now one was done with a 0.9 meter scope at altitude, the other was 20 minutes with a (good) amateur scope at 38 meter above sea level.

I am even more chuffed, I've now a mind for a long term project, to do a really deep wide field M31 at this resolution, should be a winner

Huw

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing what can be achieved with amateur equipment these days. At the bottom left on the first image of post #22 there is also the bright star cloud NGC 206. I believe you've resolved a number of individual stars in there as well (not in terms of angular resolution, but the O class stars are so bright they would completely overwhelm anything else in that pixel).

Wow.

Just think. On a planet out there is a species looking up at those regions of nebulosity, with equipment perhaps not too different to that of our own, pointed up at a target possibly named

by some astronomer wag 'The Vogons ear', or some such and he's thinking  . . . .  blumming clouds!

Yep. We're not alone. lol

Excellent image. Thanks

cheers

gaj

Yes Olly, true, being above 38 meters is not that difficult here, I'm within sight of Snowdon at 1038 meters, but that's the beauty of my location, I'm between the sea and the mountains, and the prevailing weather seems to bypass me, and generate clouds on the mountains, so I have a microclimate that is relatively clear (still not Etoile clear, naturally!).

What is exciting about this twist to the image is that the FSQ with this small pixel camera can produce images that are not that far behind professional kit. I was as surprised as the next person when I compared my image to the mono version of the Rob Gendler image.

In truth, I was a bit too excited, in giving my image a x2 zoom, I sharpened it without a star mask, so with a bit more finesse, I'm sure the image from the FSQ could be made even closer to the image from the 0.9 meter scope.

OT, BTW Olly, I hope Per's reference to aged bubbly in another post here is not a reference to an old bottle of shampoo :grin:

Huw

OK, now this is getting boring, I can't help playing with this data, lets face it there's nothing else to do with this cloud and wind. Playing with Gnomus's image got me thinking there might be more to get out of mine, so here goes with more core data, going back to the original linear core data, giving it a much smaller stretch, and using a great deal of local contrast

enhance.

It's subtle, but I think worthwhile. It was difficult to merge it in to the existing image, so as always comments please.

Huw

post-6754-0-46426100-1447099827_thumb.jp

Archived