Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

International Astronomy Show

gajjer

I went to the IAS today. Last time I went it was at the Warwick exhibition Centre. So when my satnav took me to Stoneleigh Park I thought I had messed up. So I turned round and not having my smart phone anymore, I doubled back into Leamington Spa to see if I could find a landmark I recognised. Well what fun I had I can tell you. I eventually found myself at the Warwick Exhibition Centre to find it was in fact the wrong place and after two very nice chaps wondered round 'trying to get a signal' they  pointed me at the Stoneleigh site. Ho Hum.

I wouldn't mind but I drive a Skoda diesel and I fear I might have hurried the demise of a few more of my fellow humans. Still NOx to worry. Lol.

The site wasn't as nice a Warwick, it has to be said, but it was all worth it just to rub up against some stonking kit.

I got to talk to the guys at Atik which was really useful. I might have drooled a bit over some massive SCT; both Meade and Celestron. And those mounts - ahh. Masterpieces of engineering.

Lots of useful chats with like minded people. Brilliant.

And the best bit is - I think it's going to be clear tonight. 

Today has been a good one.

Leamington still sucks though.

cheers

gaj

Sorry to hear your tribulations, gajjer. I don't have satnav. I prefer a map, which I looked at last night and wrote down directions on a piece of paper. I don't want to rub it in, but I got there no prob. The venue was a bit naff I agree. Something between a show ground and a run down industrial estate.

Oh well, the exhibition was good I thought. I got to talk to all the suppliers I had hoped to. But managed not to spend any money, which is also good. It's always risky buying in haste at these things despite some tasty tempting bargains on offer. Personally I think the talks on offer were less interesting sounding this year. In fact I only booked into the one on star formation. That was good though. Unfortunately the sound quality in the lecture theatre is so poor that everyone gets supplied with wireless headphones which at least make the speaker audible. The wireless mic used for questions afterwards didn't work unfortunately. I thought that was a tad unprofessional frankly. Anyway, all in all I enjoyed that day. Worth going IMO.

I thought the venue was fine; there was plenty of room for under cover parking, lots of room for exhibitors and talks; a cafe with lots of tables... Oh, it was an old cattle market, but i was mostly oblivious to any problems with the venue. But then I am from a farming family so maybe I am just used to "roughing it" - I'm not sure what additional facilities a swanky modern conference centre would have offered me today.

James

Archived