NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Supermoon Lunar Eclipse 28-09-15 - Timelapse

PhotoGav

Here is my timelapse video of the lunar eclipse. It is 4 hours and 7 minutes of night reduced to 38.5 seconds.

It has been a right pill to bring to fruition. The exposures are all over the place, the moon was all over the place, I ended up warp stabilizing it in After Effects and then manually adjusting the frames to line up. And to cap it all, the moon went behind my hedge before it was full again, so the video fades to black before the eclipse ends. Apart from that, I'm quite happy with it...

It is shot with a Canon EOS 1Dx through a Celestron EdgeHD 800 with reducer.

I think that with all the mistakes made, I am now in a better position to photograph the next eclipse....! Trouble is, I will have forgotten it all by then!

Well worth all the extra effort GAv..

Re the mistakes - I think I am in the same boat but mine are a lot worse compounded by my decision to swap from a crop sensor  to full frame around totality!!

The rushes form the small jpegs put me right off spending the time to do the timelapse or even a  composite from the raws... :(

I did start a what would you have done different thread for people to discuss issues and technique tweaks...

Peter...

Thank you folks.

@Mick J - yes, whatever the neighbours say, that hedge will have to shrink!

@Peter - indeed, I will be visiting the 'what would I have done differently' thread. I think that with some extra investment of time and money, I could smooth out the dodgy exposure jumps, but to be honest, I can't face staring at the moon any longer! It's all a learning curve...

Archived