NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunar eclipse

Watched the moon from around midnight till 3am. . Saw it slowly go from a bright full moon to nothing as it entered the earth shadow.

Had to go to bed so didn't watch it coming back out the other side.

Impressive as it was I didn't see a red moon as pictures seemed to suggest, did I miss something?

When was it supposed to glow red?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

All is back to norbell hare.

The Moon has now returned to that which I shake my fist at when it's near totality - leaving not even a decent terminator to explore. It's a searchlight.

When it was in it's peak of being strangled by our shadow, it wasn't 'red' per se. At least not here from whatever was lurking through our upper-atmosphere.. More of a glowing, dusty-ish orange color. Very pretty sight. All the weather-liars on the tv-news were plagarising each other and telling the viewers the totality lasts for one-hour. And they gave a time and finish for my area. Well, I could have told the difference within a minute with just my eyes. I didn't even other to try to look at my watch to mark the exact moment I believed it had entered it's peak totality. Just as well - my watch-battery died yeasterday anywho! Again the Universe laughed at me. :eek::p

So we had dusty, glowing orange here in Podunk. Anyone else care to venture an ID regards colour?

Dave

I have the next total eclipse from the UK as the 21st of the first 2019.  or our astro club website is incorrect.

Yes indeed! Here you are:

http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2019-january-21

I suggest you bookmark this site. The Home-Page will give you options for all eclipses, total & partial. for the whole planet in the years to come up to 2099.

Have fun,

Dave

I felt I was going to loose out on a fine view of the eclipse when I learned that I was gong to be out of the country for the event, (I'm in zante, feet in the pool as I type).

I wasn't disappointed, it was close too totality, only a small leading edge wasn't touched by the penumbra. The colour was a definite red when it was in full swing ( around 5 am here), turning orange as it fazed out. My only disappointment was I didn't have any equipment to get some shots, only my wee digital camera.

What a view!

I have the next total eclipse from the UK as the 21st of the first 2019. or our astro club website is incorrect.

The 2033 date is for the next 'super moon' eclipse ie an eclipse which coincides with perigee. The others in between will still be well worth watching.

I confess I'm not a fan of the term super moon, after all it's only something like 7 or 8% bigger than the average size. Seems like media hype to me. The eclipse on the other hand was spectacular :)

Great view from Hampshire, UK. Set the alarm every 20 minutes or so from 1am, and watched from my bedroom window for a few minutes, dozing off in between. At totality it was an impressive rusty red colour across most of the surface, with a brighter orange/yellow region to the bottom and left. I wouldn't have exactly said it was glowing though. In some ways, it was more impressive to the naked eye than in my binoculars which made it look flatter. To the naked eye, it looked wonderfully eerie and out of place. Best thing was waking my kids (age 3 and 5) to see it. They were very excited!

Archived