NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Veil Nebula

Phillyo

So this is the top of a two frame mosaic that, as I'm moving house beginning of next month, I'm not sure I'll get finished so thought I'd post it up.

Details are

M: Avalon linear

T: WO Star71

C: QSI583WSG with Lodestar x2 OAG

SGPro

PHD2

PI

Photoshop CC

Ha 1800s x 10 and 900s x 9

OIII 1800s x 10

I've tried lots of new processing with this so comments and criticism are welcome.

Thanks,

Phil.

21677853706_8919a3d4e5_b.jpgTop_Veil_V2 by Phil Wright, on Flickr

Please click image for higher res on Flickr.

With this being narrowband imaging Tim I can assign whatever colours I want so I made a mix of Ha and OIII assigned to Red, Blue and Green. Red was assigned to Ha, Blue was assigned to OIII and Green was a mix of Ha and OIII at (0.4*Ha)+(0.6*OIII).

Thanks for the comment.

Phil

I photographed a bit of the veil last year when it always lands under a sodium street lamp (at least the brighter portion) so its difficult for me to capture. That's a lovely image . How big is the field of view in degrees (I'm too lazy to plate solve your image)

Thanks John, I hope so too! Time will tell.

Ok so normally my processing goes something like this;

Carrying out the image integration, cosmetic correction and star alignment etc. then i will use a DBE, followed by a masked stretch then a tweat with the curves before I'm pretty much done. This time though I tried adding a few bits.

So I did the alignment etc then I used a drizzle integration routine too. I then did a deconvolution to reduce the stars slightly and also increase the sharpness a little bit.

DBE, stretching and combination using PixelMath then using curves I tweaked the contrast and boosted the saturation just a smidge. Then, I saved it as a 16bit Tiff file before opening it up in Photoshop CC. There I ran some of the actions (Annies astro actions etc) to remove the stars, messed with the levels just a touch and also enhanced the colours of the nebula while there was no stars in the image. I combined the two layers again using about 75% fill for the star layer to reduce them a smidge before running a low pass filter sharpen routine to sharpen the nebula a little bit too. Wait, no I sharpened before combining the stars sorry.

Back into Pixinsight I used a range mask to select the nebula to mask it out then darkened the background slightly as it was a little bit red in colour. I did a star mask, masked everything but the stars and ran the morphological transformation tool twice at about 0.3 to reduce the stars a little bit. ACDNR to remove a little bit of noise annnddd...

That was it :)

Probably not much different to most people but it was a little different for me. I'm very conscious of pushing pictures too far or making them look very fuzzy or grainy etc hence why I'm always looking for feedback and criticism. I'd rather someone say to me, "It's nice Phil. however...." then tell me what they think is wrong. Too dark, pushed blacks, too noisy, whatever it might be. I'm very new to this imaging lark having only really started last year so i'm still learning :)

Phil

(PS. Inserting caveat for typo's here!)

Archived