Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Considering dabbling with video astronomy

Bobby1970

Altair have sent a email out saying they will be closed till Wednesday due to the show and i think some of the others are doing the same.

I keep receiving this same email - up to 10X a day. I have directed anything from them to land in my 'spam' folder.

See the Camel? See the straw? Well..... :disgust:

Dave

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called Altair Astro today before ordering. Was assure the items were in stock and would be shipped tomorrow. 

Ordered a GP cam and the focal reducer.

I expect a big box of clouds will come with it free of charge too. ;-)

Altair GP cam arrived today. Looks to be well made. Installed the software on my Mac (in the windows partition) and had a quick play to make sure the camera powered up etc. 

All seems well, just need some clear nights and to be rid of this man flu i have at the moment. 

I have also just ordered a star adventurer tracking mount for my DSLR, so expect double the amount of clouds now, sorry. ;-)

The only astro-related item I have on order is a very nice lensatic-compass for some work in positioning markers. So I figured that this won't cause clouds to appear. But then it occured to me - clouds won't make a difference in terms of magnetic-accuracy, right? But what else could the Weather-Gods unleash.....?

Uh oh! I think the Earth is about to flip it's magnetic-field!

Anyone know where I can get a chart of what the magnetic-declination will be when South goes North?

Doomed,

Dave

Since i got the cam i have had one go with it, last friday night. clouded out since. lol

I don't think i did very well with it tbh and need to get out more with it once the conditions allow.

I have got a 4mm C mount lens, i assume this can be attached to the altair gp cam???

Can it then be used for "wide field" stuff ??? Using the same altair/sharpcap software ???

A C-mount lens should come to focus with the camera as I understand it, and it should work just the same with the software.

James

Yes, it does seem to come to focus ok, i tried it in my living room lol. 

If i want to use just the camera and the lens for video astronomy, can i still take multiple wide field images with it and stack them?

I have hear about using lenses such as this for meteor watching/imaging also??

Finally, how can i attach just the camera and its lens to my mount/mounts ???

Cheers

you can stack images taken with a C-mount lens, yes, and you can use it for all-sky imaging and trying to catch meteors.  Gina had quite a long thread about that not so long ago.

As to putting the camera directly on the mount, I'm not sure I'm afraid.  Some cameras some with a standard tripod screw fitting, but not these as far as I'm aware.  Short of making a bespoke mount (which is what I'd do) I can't think of any other options at the moment.

James

Archived