Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M64 - The Black Eye Galaxy

steppenwolf

I seem to have missed tonight's main event (Moon v Mercury) by concentrating on this galaxy instead - I must read the 'what's going on this month' section of the magazines more thoroughly in future!

This galaxy is a rather unusual spiral galaxy in that it has a very prominent dark dust lane that obscures many of the stars in the centre portion of the galaxy. 23 subs. of 300 seconds each using my SXVF-H9C and 80mm ED Refractor.

m64_060508_l.jpg

Lovely one Steve , not an easy one is this , i always like the core on this one , tried myself last night, but i was picking up nasty noise for some reason, so gave up on galaxies.

But anyway a fine result from yourself

Rog

Looking good Steve. Funny sort of galaxy, the black eye there never seems much going on and it just fades away suddently around the edges. You've done a good job with it Steve

just the other side of the Downs must have made a difference in sky quality?

The seeing was pretty poor here which is probably why I haven't captured the detail I sought in the Black Eye Galaxy's dust lane although this did improve in time for the M82 session. Both sessions (especially the latter) were plagued by misty skies - will we ever get back to dry skies again?

Ironically we always reckon we get the worst of it on the 'North' side!

Archived