NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

telescope getting wet

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to ask but how did you get the SCT wet? :p

Whatever you do, do not touch the corrector plate while it is damp.  Dust particles would need to be blown off first and then very very very carefully cleaned if absolutely necessary which it probably won't be.

just some condensation on the mirror on the piece of glass at the front, i wiped it really thouroughly though so i dont know if that would damage the optics

The problem with wiping the corrector clean is that if you have any tiny spots of dust in the condensation it can scratch the corrector. The scratches will be very fine but unfortunately they can damage the surface coatings. Best thing to do is point the scope horizontal and let it drip dry indoors. Wick off any excess that forms at the bottom of the lens with a tissue.

Any condensation on the mirror inside the scope should be air dried - leave the scope horizontal for that so you don't get pools forming on the inside of the corrector. Take off the cover from the visual back to give it more ventilation so it evaporates quicker. Hth :)

The problem with wiping the corrector clean is that if you have any tiny spots of dust in the condensation it can scratch the corrector. The scratches will be very fine but unfortunately they can damage the surface coatings. Best thing to do is point the scope horizontal and let it drip dry indoors. Wick off any excess that forms at the bottom of the lens with a tissue.

Any condensation on the mirror inside the scope should be air dried - leave the scope horizontal for that so you don't get pools forming on the inside of the corrector. Take off the cover from the visual back to give it more ventilation so it evaporates quicker. Hth :)

i still dont understand what damages the coatings. so if i scratch the surface and water or something gets in their does that the mean the coating is completely ruined? how bad will it damage the telescope because i already wiped it off with a very thick, plush microfiber towel

I will be honest: You may have done some damage by doing that - wiping it with your "plush microfibre towel." NEVER do that again. I hope the Astronomy Gods will cut you some slack and give you a free pass this ONE time.

The only way to assess the condition of your corrector-plate is to leave it alone for the next several hours (at LEAST) until it air-dries completely. If you have a camera, such as a small digital type, once dried thoroghly - take a few pictures and post those here. Then we can see how it is and what the best course of action to take is.

This isn't as bad as dropping it down a flight of stairs. But not good either. Whatever has been done regards damage can be remedied. It's a matter of what it will require to return it to it's optimal condition.

Good luck!

Dave

I use a hair-dryer on the highest setting. I keep it about a metre and a half away from the scope, so that its warm air streams around the whole thing. It's not good to point it at the glass alone or from nearby.

These days I seldom use it because my new dew cap is rather long and protects the corrector pretty well.

And yes, I do use a towel as well, but only for the tube, the mount, legs and the outside of the dew cap. It keeps everything nice and clean.

All mirrors and lenses in telescopes have coatings to protect the mirror/lens surfaces which are finely ground and polished in the figuring process. The coatings also help to reduce any internal reflectivity within lenses and eye pieces.

Because the grinding and polishing is so fine - even the tiniest scratch from miniscule particles of dust can open up the coatings leaving a gap for moisture ingress. This can turn to mould and in worst cases peel the coatings off or rust the materials used or cause internal reflections. This deterioration will show itself eventually in views, and sooner in images. :)

I wouldn't panic just yet, modern coatings are really tough compared to what they used to be and certainly not as fragile as is being made out. It is NOT a good idea to just wipe with a micro-fibre cloth though, use proper lens cleaning wipes which are made for the job. Unless you were unlucky you probably got away with it this time.

ChrisH

The following link goes to Dr. Clay Sherrod's website and his guide to cleaning the optics of all LX-series telescopes:

http://www.arksky.org/asoclean.htm

Dr. Clay - as he commonly goes by - is regarded as THE authority on these scopes. For a long time he offered his "Supercharging" service which would make an LX90 etc. scope perform well above what Meade considered their perfectly tuned LX's. Dr. Clay made these scopes leave their factory models in the weeds. I don't know if he still does this, as he's getting on in years, but his website has a wealth of materials and knowledge. For all-access he requires you join. This is to prevent spammers and robots from making a mess of things. Once joined and approved, you can leave him messages which he will answer. Here's his site:

http://www.arksky.org/index.php

If you have an LX-series SCT, your scope will thank you for this!

Enjoy!

Dave

ps: If you'd like more information on his "Supercharging" - please send me a PM and I will send you a file with the material that goes into this quite fully. Just say: Supercharge in your PM to jog the squirrel in my head to  action.

apparentyl i can upload anything to imgur right now.... i dont really see that much wrong with the actual corrector plate... its the same color as always.. what should i be looking for the next time i take it out to know if its been damaged?

I will be honest: You may have done some damage by doing that - wiping it with your "plush microfibre towel." NEVER do that again. I hope the Astronomy Gods will cut you some slack and give you a free pass this ONE time.

The only way to assess the condition of your corrector-plate is to leave it alone for the next several hours (at LEAST) until it air-dries completely. If you have a camera, such as a small digital type, once dried thoroghly - take a few pictures and post those here. Then we can see how it is and what the best course of action to take is.

This isn't as bad as dropping it down a flight of stairs. But not good either. Whatever has been done regards damage can be remedied. It's a matter of what it will require to return it to it's optimal condition.

Good luck!

Dave

if i did damage my scope what should i be looking for when i look through my eyepiece to see if their is damage?

if i did damage my scope what should i be looking for when i look through my eyepiece to see if their is damage?

If you have very fine scratches they will work similar to the secondary vanes on a reflector - so you small diffraction spikes around bright stars. If there are a lot of them the star just goes fuzzy rather than looking like a fine point of light.

ChrisH

If you have very fine scratches they will work similar to the secondary vanes on a reflector - so you small diffraction spikes around bright stars. If there are a lot of them the star just goes fuzzy rather than looking like a fine point of light.

ChrisH

would i see any difference the birghtness in something like a planet? can i see these affects in larger objects too? when i look at my telescope i see what looks to be smudges that i cant remove with a cloth in any way. could this be scratches or something else?

would i see any difference the birghtness in something like a planet? can i see these affects in larger objects too? when i look at my telescope i see what looks to be smudges that i cant remove with a cloth in any way. could this be scratches or something else?

On planets it loses you contrast so fine features get sort of blurred - especially those that are fairly similar in brightenss and colour - like features on Mars or the fainter bands on Jupiter. Not sure what you are seeing on your corrector plate, shine a bright light on it at an angle and look closely, that will highlight any scratches.

chrisH

On planets it loses you contrast so fine features get sort of blurred - especially those that are fairly similar in brightenss and colour - like features on Mars or the fainter bands on Jupiter. Not sure what you are seeing on your corrector plate, shine a bright light on it at an angle and look closely, that will highlight any scratches.

chrisH

i still dont understand what scratches look like.... are they like smudges or are they sharp and precise cuts like regular scratches?

Archived